Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.
2921078

Hyundai Santa Fe: Im having problems with my 2003 Sante Fe.

I'm having problems with my 2003 Sante Fe. It has a rough idle while in drive, hesitates at takeoff and the then surges, and a rough almost half power cruise speed. The only time it seems to run okay is after the takeoff surge getting up to speed. Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question today!
Is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok.,this will be tricky of course to try and diagnose.
Can you tell me if the engine is idling rough?
Also Tony, how many miles on the vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It idles rough while in gear but smooth out of gear. 80k on the odom.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I would start with changing the spark plugs. It seems the issue is only under load. This would eliminate a bunch of things, especially with no check engine light.
If the plugs don't look bad, or make a difference, then the next thing you can check at home would be the fuel pressure. You would have to rent or borrow a gauge, but honestly, there isn't a lot that will cause this problem and not turn on the check engine light.
Weak ignition and low fuel pressure are among the most common issues. The interval on the plugs on this is 30k I believe so if they haven't been done, it might just be a simple tune up that will resolve the problem for you.
The fuel treatment also a good idea, even if it's not the injectors, then it's good for them and the valves anyway.
Now, it is possible there is a problem with the mass air flow sensor or one of the O2 sensors, however a scan tool is really needed to watch their inputs to the computer to be sure.
So I have to suggest stuff you can likely try at home first, then take it from there.
Hope this helps!
Please be sure to let me know if you need further assistance,if not, please be sure to rate my answer. If you are on the free trial, a rating is still required. Your card will not be charged. Thank you.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience: I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.