Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Hello. working on a 2004 santa fe v6-awd. shop owner looking

Hello. working on a 2004 santa fe v6-awd. shop owner looking for info on how to remove the awd clutch housing from the rear diff. Mitchell on demand shows removing the retaing bolts for the mag housing then, removing as an assy. the clutch housing will not budge. I have had the mag housing off already-looking for a snap ring ? non found. Any ideas other then BFH ? THANKS

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

1) Sorry for the long delay.

2) First off I am checking to see if you have already resolved your concern.

3) If you do still need help, if there is anything more you think would help me answer your question, please reply with that info.

4) If you happened to leave off the year make and model and engine liter size or any stored trouble codes or anything you have done so far, please include that information in your next reply.

I am sorry you have had to wait so long for the first contact. Sometimes this happens when the question you ask is not detailed enough or its just hard to address online. Many have viewed your post, but have decided to pass. I will do my best to help you. I have access to many repair sites, so at the least I can provide something to address at least part of your concern if it is not something I can address from memory and experience.

I work on this site only in the evening hours 7 days a week. I am online normally from 3-midnight. Thanks for using our site, we will do all we can to earn your business, again sorry we did not get to you sooner.

Chris

>

>

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Chris. This car has the 3.5l v6. For some reason does this style require the carrier to be removed & then the clutch pack to come out the back rather then the front as Mitchell describes ? Is there a hidden retainer some where I'm not seeing ? Should I hit hard w/rubber mallet ? I have tried to be gentle so as not to break the clutch housing.
Thanks for help, john

I believe I found the steps your needing hidden in the manual transaxle rear axle disassembly removal directions. See below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/04santafe.pdf

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good evening Chris.

The info you provided is word / word and pic / pic the same as Mitchell On Demand. I did however find the problem and was able to seperate the AWD assy. from the diff. assy--the AWD clutch housing was seizied on the input splines of the pinion. With some time and careful hammer & chisel work I was sucessfull in seperating the assy. apart.

Could you check for factory TSB'S or have you experienced ? intermitent growel noise in rear diff. / driveline at low speed 5-10 mph { sounds like brake pads metal on metal }. All brakes ft / rr have been checked and wheel bearings sound good w/stethascope. We authorized w/customer a rear diff replecement { used unit } do to pinion bearing noise at 55-65 mph. THE ORIGINAL CUST. COMPLAINT WAS INTERMITENT GROWEL NOISE IN REAR OF CAR-TEST DRIVE INDICATED RIGHT SIDE. NOISE WENT AWAY WITH OUT LOAD ON SUSPENSION. We scanned all ecm's w/all info looking normal and no code's.

cust. had right rear wheel bearing replaced before comeing to my shop.

Thank you

Normally a noise like you have described without it being a carrier bearing or hub bearing will be a AWD noise possibly due a current or previous situation where mis-matched tires were used.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI Chris

That is our thought also and why we put in a replacement diff. assy. Unfortunetly the used unit acted like it was locked posi {even with electric connector disconnected }, that is why we were needing to remove clutch pack from diff. When we got it apart we found it to be burnt up and locked mechanically. As a test we put the electric clutch from original unit in replecemnt diff-unit was unlocked, however bearing noise was worse the previous. Long story short we are now looking for another used rear diff.

I am going to rate you as good service - not excellent, because your time online is after our closing time. It is now 8.15 pm and I'm working from home tonight. And also because you didn't address my question as to any possible other reasons why the AWD clutch assy. would not come free from diff housing. Otherwise your info provided is very good. I have been wrenching over 30 years and still learn something new every day.

The process never stops-I constently ask question's or answer them for someone else !

Thank you for your assistance

Have a good holiday weekend !

Hello again Chris here.

It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help with the concern we worked on, and if not to say Thanks.

Also note we have about 80 categories from medical to boats to small engines to legal to whatever you can think of. If you have any other questions give us a shot with another question.

Thanks Chris
.
.