George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years

Hyundai Accent GLS: died and wont start

died and wont start
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 8 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Do you have a scantool that shows data? Cranking RPM?

Does it sound normal cranking?

Have you checked the fuses?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

yes as described above I did check all fuses, scan tool says 240 rpm and yes it sounds normal and not like a broken timming belt

OK, if you have 240 RPM that rules out the crank sensor, can you check for power to the coils and the computer at their connectors?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

no power to the coils or the injectors with a noid light

Then you need to see why you have power at the fuses but not to the coils. YOu turn the key on and it closes switch to power the IGN COIL fuse.

See if you have power at the fuse with the key on at the fuse, if you do not check the IGN1 fuse under the hood.

If you have power to the IGN1 fuse but the switch does not power the IGN COIL fuse open the column so you can get to the back of the switch and see if you have power to the switch.

If you do not have power at the IGN1 fuse check the battery.

Let me know what you find, I need to go out for a while but I will check in as I can

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

there is b + power at the coils but not a ground

OK, that is a little different than no power to the coils.

How about the injectors? Do you have power there?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

my noid light don't light up when cranking. I have power with no ground as well

I understand that but that does not check for battery voltage to the injectors, if you have battery voltage there we need to go a different direction as the battery, fuse and switch are working properly and unless you now have spark you are looking at replacing the computer.

The computer is showing the signal from the crank sensor, the only thing it needs to fire the coils by grounding the side that does not have power. As long as there is a complete wire between the computer and the coils you will need to replace the computer as it has what it needs to fire the coils but it is not doing that.

I am assuming that you checked for codes before you looked at the cranking RPM.

Let me know what you are seeing so I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

yes there is power and the ground side is very weak but wont flash at the injector

If the ground is very weak check the ground to the computer, if that is solid then the computer has failed.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

we unplugged both the computer connectors and reconnected them and it started. thanks. it was fully plugged in though. I wonder if the circuit board has a crack in it.

IT may be getting hot and a solder joint opening up, the coils and injectors are grounded through the silicon electronics on the circuit board and then out through the ground on the connectors. I would not be driving this places where I could not get help until there are many miles without a repeat of the incident.

Please let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

ya its my bros and hes got AAA Laughing

But I bet he dials your number before AAA?

Please let me know if I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Actually he didn't this morning at 6:00 am. But he he after the tow truck broke down on the way here.

OK, anyway you got the call!

Please let me know how I can help

Thanks

George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience: Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years