Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Hyundai Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hyundai Sante Fe: When driving, I started out fine then the

When driving, I started out fine then the engine started stalling and would only go so fast. It sounds like I'm giving it gas, but it's not excellorating . Feels like I'm riding a slow horse! No engine light is on. 2004 Hyundai Sante Fe. Help!
Hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your question.
With the engine running go back to the exhaust pipe and tell me of there is a good flow of air coming out of the exhaust.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How should I test for the flow of exhaust air. Should I start the engine and place my hand in front to the exhaust?

Go back to the tail pipe at the rear of the vehicle and place a dollar bill or a piece of paper over the tail pipe and see if there is any suction on the paper. Do this with the engine running.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No there is no suction. It's blowing softly.

Ok the issue that you are having is consistent with the catalytic converter coming apart internally and restricting the flow of the exhaust and in turn choking the vehicle out. The exhaust system needs to be checked as a first step.