Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Hyundai Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.

I have a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. It has 103,000 miles. Just bought

I have a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. It has 103,000 miles. Just bought it used. It has just recently gotten stuck in 3rd gear and then check engine light went on. Was driving smoothly prior, and notice if I don't accelerate slowly, not shifting as smoothly. It is automatic
Hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your question.
How does the transmission fluid look?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't had the fluid looked at

Ok. The issue that you are describing is a solenoid in the valve body is sticking,this will also make the check engine light come on because a fault was detected in the system. The most common reason for this is debris in the system and at the mileage of the vehicle the first step I would suggest is having the transmission fluid flushed and filled with new fluid. The system has likely stored a hard code in the system meaning that If the vehicle is scanned there is likely a code in the system even if the light is not currently on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sounds reasonable. Thanks. Do I have to have special transmission fluid. I read about having Hyundai transmission fluid used.

Yes your vehicle takes SP-111 and I would recommend the flush at the dealer.