Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.

Hyundai Santa Fe: We have recently purchased a 2001 Hyundai

We have recently purchased a 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe (AWD - 6 cyl) w/ about 139,000 miles.

We've been having trouble with the battery - in that this morning, I purposely left 2 doors open to air out the car (very hot weather) for about 5 - 10 minutes. The doors have lights on them to warn oncoming traffic that a vehicle is there. As a result of this, I could not start the car.

A few weeks ago, when the interior light was left on over night - the battery also died.

Another time it was unable to start after it was started for a few moments and turned off then restarted. AFter waiting for awhile it restarted - then I drove it for awhile to recharge the battery.

I'm wondering is it appropriate to change the battery or might it be something else?

Also - the radio in the car has some sort of short that causes it to turn on and off unexpectedly. I was told that I should replace the radio for about $300 - which I can't afford to do - but I know I can get one for far less money installed.

Before I change the radio - I want to make sure it's just that and not related to a problem with the electrical system. Can't afford to throw money down the drain - been unemployed for 5 years.
Hello and thank you for your question today!
It sounds like the battery is weak. You could have a parts store like Autozone test the battery for you and that way you would be 100% sure. They will do this at no charge for you.From here it does sound like the battery is just old and tired.
The radio is not a likely factor with this at all.
Hope this helps!
Please be sure to let me know if you need further assistance, if not, then please be sure to rate my answer.If you got here with the free trial, you still have to rate, you will not be charged.
Thank You

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You are very welcome!
If you haven't already, please be sure to rate my answer!