Neal
Neal, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

Hyundai Elantra GLS: Hi Neal,Just had an issue with my

Hi Neal,

Just had an issue with my 2002 Elantra overheating and steam coming from the radiator. Lost alot of fluid/antifreeze. After refilling noticed the fans not running at the radiator, but do run only when the AC is turned on. Now there's a slight leak in fluid and I think the overall problem may be with the Coolant Temperature sensor. Car has 100,000 miles on it. What do you think? Also temp gauge never budged past normal
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Neal replied 1 year ago.

Hello I'm Neal and I am here to help resolve your issue. If I cannot help I will opt out and refer your question to another expert.

Start with the temp sensor for the computer, it is likely bad and that is causing the fan to not come on. Let me know what you find and we can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What are the chances this ruined the radiator, also used antifreeze that may have been very old after this occurred, though Prestone says it should be good for many years, should I flush it... Not employed and have limited ability repairing cars.

Expert:  Neal replied 1 year ago.
You should replace old antifreeze as it does break down and will not cool correctly as it ages. It could have damaged the radiator when it got hot, it is not unusual for the radiator to fail when they overheat. Is it leaking from the radiator now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The fluid used was sitting in storage for 5+ years, it had never been used and it wasn't premixed with water.

Do I have to drain fluid to remove the sensor or can I just remove it and wait till till it stops draining before doing the replacement?

Expert:  Neal replied 1 year ago.
In, storage it should be ok, You can remove it and catch what comes out and then just add that amount back when done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The radiator was cracked (plastic top where it joins the aluminum body) and replaced as well as the hoses and thermostat and fluids.

Expert:  Neal replied 1 year ago.
So it was the radiator, is it all good now?
Neal, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.