Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

Hyundai Sonata: Hello, My check engine light is staying on.

My check engine light is staying on. The code is 2187. In addition, the car is acting like it does not want to start right away. It's like it isn't getting enough gas and just won't completely turn over. Then finally, it does. I also am not getting good gas mileage right now. I keep up the maintenance and the recommended service right now is fuel injection cleaning. Could this help the problem?

Ok, first I need to know which engine - the 4 or the 6 cylinder engine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

4 Cylinder

Ok, P2187 is a lean condition code, which simply means that there is more air in the fuel to air ratio than there should be. This can be due to unmetered air entering the throttle body or intake due to air leak at the air intake tube, vacuum hose or even intake manifold gasket. Or from too little fuel due to clogged/dirty injectors or weak fuel pressure.

The air intake tube, vacuum hoses and intake manifold should be checked for leaks and corrected as needed.

If ok, fuel pressure should be tested. If weak, then replace fuel pump.

If no air leaks, fuel pressure good, then injectors should be cleaned of carbon buildup which will cause a lean condiiton.

As long as everything is tested properly, and no other problems found, then a fuel injection cleaning should resolve the P2187.

Cleaning injectors of carbon will also help increase/restore gas mileage as well as help it run smoother

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have already rated my answer, then Thanks alot. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.