K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Asian Import Specialist, ASE Certified Technician AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

Hyundai Sonata GLS: My 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 uses oil; theres

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 uses oil; there's is no leakage. Since Oct 1, 2011, I've added oil as follows ( this list is not all inclusive): 4 oz after 3665 miles, 3 oz after 907 mi, 4 oz after 2159 mi, 2 oz after 5918 mi, 7 oz after 430 mi, 9 oz after 2720 mi, 6 oz after 1096 mi and 6 oz after 1393 mi. I live in NW Florida, drive mostly in town, take longer trips approx. every two months, don't drive on dusty roads, change the oil after 5500 miles on avg. and use Valvoline full synthetic 5w 20 oil. Oil usage is greater when driving on long trips. Present mileage is 43660. Is this a problem I should address with the dealer? Car is still under warranty.
Hello, what I am about to say may not be want you would like to hear but I believe in being straight forward. Most manufacturers (Hyundai included) consider up to 16 ounces per 1500 miles to be an acceptable amount of oil consumption. You may also want to switch to a non synthetic or different brand of oil as some oils do have a lower burn off temperature. Hyundai specifies oil that meets ILSAC GF4 or API SM standards. Hyundai may also refuse to warranty the engine if non Hyundai oil filters are used.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was SHOCKED that auto manufacturers (AM) consider the usage of 16 ounces of oil per 1500 miles to be acceptable consumption. To me, this is an excessive amount of oil usage for a 2011 auto. I'll be difficult to convince that this is NORMAL. Sounds like AM are trying to cover their ass "just in case" excessive oil usage happens. That way, they won't have to be responsible for fixing these "minor" oil usage situations providing all remedies have been tried to fix problem. To the white collar stiffs, yup, this is within normal parameters these days. It's time to put my rubber knee high boots on and wade thru this "BS oil policy" and press on, trying other things out. I'll try Mobile 1 synthetic oil as this is what the local Hyundai service manager recommended - then check oil after 500 miles. If this doesn't work, I'll try nonsynthetic.

Thanks for your reply KW.

Gary Pogue

You're welcome Gary. I agree with you that it's a foul policy.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks again KW as I drive on down the road in a cloud of 5W-20 smoke. That about covers it - -