Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience:  27 year and 16 year as shop owner, import technician

Hyundai Sonata: 2013 Hyundai Sonata. The headlights seem to

Customer Question

2013 Hyundai Sonata. The headlights seem to shine low and not project out far enough to drive safely at freeway speeds. The dealer says the lights can't be adjusted. Is this true?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 1 year ago.
HI, welcome to just answers my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you solve this problem, the head lights on this vehicle are telescopic and yes they can be adjusted in to four positions but will require a special head light aiming tool to perform the adjustment the cost to perform this job is only a half hour labor and if less then 24k it should be under warranty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is the best way to get the dealer to agree with this and stop denying there is a way to adjust them?

I will look up in the morning and get back to you on this thank you and good night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I never heard back from you. Can you cite where in the manual this information is so I can share it with the dealer?

Hi sorry for the delay it seems like there was a change made between 2012 and 2013 body stile some of this vehicle comes with adjustable head lights and some don't can you tell me the production date of your vehicle is located on the drivers side door sticker this is going to help me identify the production date, again sorry for the inconvenience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
July 25, 2012 is the date
ok sorry I believe the dealers are right ,I am sorry for wasting your time but let me opt out and let another expert help you I am sure somebody has a way to make this work believe me you are not the only one complaining about this problem just hold on and do not answer back to me to prevent locking the question back to me.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Hello, new expert here to assist you. Could you provide me with the vehicles VIN?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5npeb4acodh569679
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Name isXXXXX goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Another expert here to assist you with this issue of having your lights adjusted which can be adjusted as shown below .
Print and take this to your dealership ,that should know this without checking out the Hyundai work repair sheet .

Head Lamp Aiming Instructions
The head lamps should be aimed with the proper beam-setting equipment, and in accordance with the equipment manufacturer's instructions.
If there are any regulations pertinent to the aiming of head lamps in the area where the vehicle is to be used, adjust so as to meet those requirements.
Alternately turn the adjusting gear to adjust the head lamp aiming. If beam-setting equipment is not available, proceed as follows:
1.Inflate the tires to the specified pressure and remove any loads from the vehicle except the driver, spare tire, and tools.
2.The vehicle should be placed on a flat floor.
3.Draw vertical lines (Vertical lines passing through respective head lamp centers) and a horizontal line (Horizontal line passing through center of head lamps) on the screen.
4.With the head lamp and battery in normal condition, aim the head lamps so the brightest portion falls on the horizontal and vertical lines.A : Vertical

Front Fog Lamp Aiming the front fog lamps should be aimed as the same manner of the head lamps aiming.With the front fog lamps and battery normal condition, aim the front fog lamps by turning the adjusting screw (A) with a driver.

Head Lamp And Fog Lamp Aiming Point

1.Head Lamp (Low beam)
A.Turn the low beam on without driver aboard.
B.The cut-off line should be projected in the cut-off line shown in the picture.
C.When aiming the low beam, vertical aiming should be adjusted after adjusting the horizontal aiming.
D.If head lamp leveling device is equipped, adjust the head lamp leveling device switch with 0 positions.

2.Turn the front fog lamp on without the driver aboard.The cut-off line should be projected in the cut-off line shown in the picture.

Need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me with the reply box below ,

Rgds Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience: 27 year and 16 year as shop owner, import technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I compared my headlights to the headlights on a 2013 Nissan Altima and the Altima projected out at least twice as far on normal beams. Is there a standard distance that normal beams should illuminate to in any Hyundai specifications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I also would like a specification section or manual section that makes it clear that my 2013 Sonata made on that date can be adjusted. Otherwise, if the beams are not to specification, I need to know what to do to get the dealer to make them come into acceptable standards.

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi .

If the diagram i sent you is correct to your model and there is a adjusting screw as shown then the lights can be adjusted and at any shop or dealership is a headlight alignment tool that is used ,and there is a set specification per state that has to be
set at .
Alignment tool .
graphic

Or use the instructions i gave you to check your own lights all you need is the wall of your garage.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I can't open the two files you sent the last time, but I will see where I get with the dealer. I don't see an adjusting screw on my headlights.

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi .

Okay please do that, and then get back to me for any further assistance .

Rgds Greg