George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

Hyundai accent: i have a 2007 hyundai accent. timing belt broke.

Customer Question

i have a 2007 hyundai accent. timing belt broke. Removed head and replaced bent valves, assembled engine started vehicle had a misfire on cylinder number 4. compression test came up low on 4 did a leak down test no air can be heard from intake or exhaust checked timing, valves are seating properly, cylinder wall in good condition still has cross hatch, piston was in good condition no damage
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

What is the engine compression on cylinder number 4?

What about the rest of the cylinders?

Does cylinder number 4 misfire at all times or just at idle or under a load?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

compression on #4 is 55 and the rest about 125

cylinder misfires idle

it runs good at high ways speeds

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Eduardo,

That is rather odd. If the cylinder compression is only at 55 psi, it would misfire at all rpm's.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its also odd that compression is 55 and when i do a leak down test theres no air coming out of the intake or exhaust

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Its got to be leaking from somewhere.

Intake, exhaust or in the crankcase.

Please double check for me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no leaks from anywhere

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
I will leave this question open.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, different expert here.

Do you have the head off now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no i do not

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Relist: Other. time

does the timing chain tensioner squirt up oil past the hood

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, when you relist the question I am not notified of your response. It is an issue with the site.

You do not have a timing chain tensioner on this engine if this is the 1.6L gasoline engine so I do not understand your question about the oil squirting.

With 55 lbs of compression in #4 it is leaking. Whether you can hear the leakage or not is not really relevant to the problem, you could have a crack, the guide could be damaged or the seat on a valve damaged.

You will need to pull the head off to find the problem but before you do that pull the spark plugs and use a stiff piece of metal (I use the rail off a wiper blade) and measure the TDC position relative to the top of the spark plug well. If #4 is not lower than the rest then you need to pull the head.

Did you have the head done at a machine shop or did you install the valves yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry i meant the jack chain tensioner.

i did the valve my self

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

The automatic tensioner should not have oil squirting out of it but if you have the valve cover and timing covers off you can remove the camshafts and recheck the leak down in #4. With the cams out all #4 valves should be closed. If you are still showing leakage check the coolant in the radiator to see if it is being pushed out (crack in block or head) and if nothing is showing there you will need to pull the head. I suspect you do have a valve leaking but just cannot hear it. If it were the exhaust it is a long way to the valve from the exhaust pipe with the muffler and the cat in between.

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you