Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Hyundai Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I need complete directions to change the alternator and serpentine

I need complete directions to change the alternator and serpentine belt on my 2006 Hyundai Azera Limited with a 3.8 liter engine. The car has AC.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi,how are you?

Specific to:

Hyundai Azera 2006-2008

Hyundai Elantra 2006-2008

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2008

Hyundai Tiburon 2006-2008

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
  2. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable Alternator drive belt Alternator wiring harness connectors Alternator

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:

Alternator Alternator wiring harness connectors Alternator drive belt
  2. Adjust the alternator belt and torque the bolts to the following specifications:
    1. 2.0L engine: Pivot bolt to 14-18 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm) and adjustment bolt to 105-132 inch lbs. (12-15 Nm).
    2. 2.4L engine: Pivot bolt to 26-41 ft. lbs. (34-54 Nm) and the adjustment bolt to 14-18 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm).
    3. 3.3L and 3.8L engines: Pivot bolt to 14-18 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm) and adjustment bolt to 11-16 ft. lbs. (15-22 Nm).

3. Connect the negative battery cable.

Adjustment

Specific to:

Hyundai Accent 2006-2008

Hyundai Azera 2006-2008

Hyundai Elantra 2006-2008

Hyundai Entourage 2007-2008

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2008

Hyundai Tiburon 2006-2008

1. Loosen the tension mounting bolt.
  2. Turn the adjusting bolt to obtain the proper belt tension, then retighten the mounting bolt.
  3. Recheck the deflection of the drive belt.
    graphic
    1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
    2. Raise and support the vehicle.
    3. Remove the engine splash shield.
    4. Rotate the drive belt tensioner clockwise to release the drive belt tension.
    5. Remove the drive belt from the alternator.
    6. Slowly release the drive belt tensioner.
    7. Remove the drive belt from the accessory drive pulleys.
    1. Install the drive belt to the accessory drive pulley.
    2. Rotate the drive belt tensioner clockwise.
    3. Install the drive belt to the alternator.
    4. Ensure the drive belt is properly aligned and seated into the grooves of the accessory drive pulleys.
    5. Slowly release the drive belt tensioner.
    6. Install the engine splash shield.
    7. Lower the vehicle.
  1. Removal & Installation

Specific to:

Hyundai Accent 2006-2008

Hyundai Azera 2006-2008

Hyundai Elantra 2006-2008

Hyundai Entourage 2007-2008

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2008

Hyundai Tiburon 2006-2008

Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.

2. Raise and support the vehicle.
  3. Remove the engine splash shield.
  8. To install:

6. Install the engine splash shield.
    7. Lower the vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This doesn't tell me much about removing the alternator. It looks pretty tight where the alternator would have to come out either from the top or the bottom. Do I have to remove radiator hose or AC lines or anything else?

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 1 year ago.
No,nothing else is requires removal to get the alternator out,the alternator will come out from the top.This is a tight fit,but it will maneuver out from the top.Once the bolts and the harness is disconnected it will come out.
Mike Kelly, Hyundai Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.