Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

Hyundai Santa Fe: I need to know how to tell if the cam balance

I need to know how to tell if the cam balance belt and the stuff that it drives and the timing belt and all it drives is in time with each other on a 2002 santa fe with a 2.4 engine. Where are all the timing marks? Is there a web site to find a picture that shows all of that?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

below are diagrams of all timing marks:

cam shafts:
graphic

Crankshaft and balance shaft
graphic
graphic

oil pump:
graphic

To install:

1. Install the crankshaft sprocket B to the crankshaft.
    CAUTION
    Pay attention to the direction of the flange. If it is installed in the wrong direction, the belt will break.
  2. Apply engine oil to the outer surface of the spacer lightly and install the spacer to the right counterbalance shaft. Be sure to install spacer correctly.
  3. Install the counterbalance shaft sprocket onto the right counterbalance shaft and then tighten the flange bolt by hand until it is tight.
  4. Align the timing mark on each sprocket with its corresponding timing mark on the front case.
  5. Install timing belt B and make sure there is no slack.
  6. Install tensioner B so that the center of the pulley is located on the left side of the mounting bolt and the pulley flange faces the front of the engine.
  7. Align the timing mark on the right counterbalance shaft sprocket with the timing mark on the front case.
  8. Lift the tensioner B to tighten tensioner B so that its tension side is pulled tight. Tighten the bolt on tensioner B . As the bolt is being tightened, make sure the shaft does not turn. If the shaft turns, the belt will be overtightened.
  9. Make sure the timing marks are aligned.
  10. Check the belt tension by depressing the center of the belt span with an index finger. The deflection should be 0.20-0.28 inch (5-7mm).
  11. Install the flange and crankshaft sprocket making sure it is installed properly. Installing the flange incorrectly will cause the belt to break.
  12. Install the crankshaft washer and bolt. Tighten the bolt to 80-94 ft. lbs. (110-130 Nm).
  13. Insert a 0.3 inch (8mm) diameter screwdriver through the plug hole on the left side of the block to keep the left counterbalance shaft in position. Insert the screwdriver at least 2.36 inch (60 mm).
  14. Install the oil pump sprocket and tighten the nut to 36-43 ft. lbs. (50-60 Nm)
  15. Install the camshaft sprockets and the bolts.
  16. Hold the camshaft with a wrench and tighten the camshaft sprocket bolts to 56-72 ft. lbs. (80-100 Nm).
  17. Reset the auto tensioner as follows:
    1. Place the tensioner in a soft jawed vice in a level position. If there is a plug at the bottom of the tensioner use a plain washer.
    2. Compress the rod slowly using the vice until the set hole in the rod is aligned with the set hole on the cylinder.
    3. Insert a set pin through the body and rod and leave the pin installed.
  18. Install the tensioner and tighten the bolts to 14-20 ft. lbs. (20-27 Nm). Leave the set pin in place.
  19. Install the tensioner pulley and tighten the bolt to 31-40 ft. lbs. (43-55 Nm).
  20. Rotate the camshaft sprockets so that the dowel pin is at the upper side. Set the timing mark of the sprocket correctly.
    NOTE
    Before installing the belt, the timing mark of the camshaft sprocket doers not coincide with that of the rocker cover, do not rotate the cam sprocket more than 2 teeth of the sprocket in any direction. Rotating the sprocket more that 2 teeth may make the valve and piston contact each other. If it is necessary to rotate the sprocket more that 2 teeth, rotate the crankshaft sprocket counterclockwise first based on the timing mark. After the camshaft sprocket is properly timed, return the crankshaft to TDC.
  21. Align the crankshaft sprocket timing marks.
  22. Align the pump sprocket timing marks.
  23. Install the timing belt counterclockwise around the tensioner pulley and crankshaft sprocket. Hold the belt onto the tensioner pulley using your hand.
  24. Pull the belt around the oil pump sprocket using your other hand.
  25. Install the belt around the right-hand idler pulley, then the intake camshaft sprocket.
  26. Turn the exhaust camshaft sprocket one tooth clockwise to align its timing mark with the cylinder top surface, then pull the belt around the exhaust camshaft sprocket.
  27. Raise the tensioner pulley gently so that the belt does not sag and temporarily tighten the pulley center bolt.
  28. Recheck that all timing marks are correct.
  29. Remove the set pin from the auto tensioner.
  30. Rotate the crankshaft two turns clockwise and let it sit for around 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, measure the auto tensioner protrusion A (the distance between the tensioner arm and tensioner) . The specification should be 0.24-0.35 inch (6-9mm).

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be sure to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE , however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so that I can further help you

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
If you have any other questions on this, feel free to ask for more help by clicking the REPLY TO EXPERT button, otherwise please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to pay for services rendered per customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and expert is not paid for their time, knowledge or services until you do so.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.