George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years

Hyundai Getz: Changed oil on friends 2006 Hyundai Getz and

Changed oil on friends 2006 Hyundai Getz and on checking the dipstick found the level 3 inches over the 'F' mark! only used about 3 quarts. Bought a new filter a week later and when I drained the oil , found only about two quarts and it was black and was showing signs of aluminium 'sheen'. With the Sump plug removed it was still showing way overfull on the dipstick, even tho' the engine oil had been completely drained. Replaced the plug and 3 .3 Quarts of Castrol 10w-30w oil. Then noticed the A T F dipstick was as dry as a bone, so added a litre of ATF oil to auto trans; started the engine and got a huge pall of white smoke. Checked the engine dipstick and still reading about 3 inches over 'F' mark with only three and a bit litres of brand new oil in the sump. There are no obvious oil leaks and the engine has only done 37500 kms since new. Cut a strip of flock free rag and cleaned out the dipstick tube with a bit of stiff wire and still the dipstick reads way over full! A litre is about a quart.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Do not start this engine until the fluids are properly filled!

You have drained the transmission (gearbox) and filled the engine so you need to install the plug in the sump you have been draining and fill the transmission to the cold line on the dipstick with the engine running but before you do that remove the other plug under the engine (smaller than the one you have removed already) and drain the engine oil then install the plug and fill so the level shows at the full line on the dipstick.

The gearbox may be damaged from running on low fluid so if the fluid is burnt and black you may have to have the gearbox rebuilt or replaced.

Please let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience: Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

George,

I am not concerned about the gearbox oil and did not drain it and did not say I had. I drained the ENGINE OIL and the dipstick STILL even with the ENGINE sump plug removed registered overfull; like three inches over the 'F' mark on the engine dipstick. So I cleaned the engine dipstick tube and after reinserting the dipstick it still registered overful even tho' I had only filled the engine with 3.3 quarts of oil! There is only one engine sump plug in the front centre of the sump and there does not appear to be a smaller plug anywhere else. Before replacing the engine oil it did not smoke but after doing so there were clouds of acrid pure white strange smelling smoke. I am what is called in Australia a "bush mechanic" and have been working on cars , usually old ones for 50 years but have never struck anything like this. I'm stumped!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

George,

I am not concerned about the gearbox oil and did not drain it and did not say I had. I drained the ENGINE OIL and the dipstick STILL even with the ENGINE sump plug removed registered overfull; like three inches over the 'F' mark on the engine dipstick. So I cleaned the engine dipstick tube and after reinserting the dipstick it still registered overfull even tho' I had only filled the engine with 3.3 quarts of oil! There is only one engine sump plug in the front center of the sump and there does not appear to be a smaller plug anywhere else. Before replacing the engine oil it did not smoke but after doing so there were clouds of acrid pure white strange smelling smoke. I am what is called in Australia a "bush mechanic" and have been working on cars , usually old ones for 50 years but have never struck anything like this. I'm stumped!

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

I understand that you don't think you drained the gearbox oil but think about what happened,

You drained the oil

You filled the oil

The engine oil was overfull

The gearbox was under full

This is common on this engine/gearbox as the drains are not clearly identified.

The clouds of smoke are from the engine being overfilled, the black fluid in the gearbox is from being overheated.

When you had the drain plug out it was the gearbox drain plug and that is why the engine dipstick still showed overfull.

Find the other drain plug and pull it I think you will find 7 quarts of engine oil comes out.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is midnight Saturday here in Western Australia George;so tomorrow (Sunday),I'll go check for another plug . I hope you are right because the plug I removed was in the front centre of the engine pressed steel sump. Facing the front of the car the auto trans is bolted to the right hand side of the engine and the oil is pink, not honey coloured. Will let you know tomorrow. We obviously spell words differently to you here in Oz. The spell checker keeps telling me to change colour and centre! Have no intention of paying monthly for the Hyundai forum as it is not my car but will suggest to the owner ;who is a Chinese doctor /acupuncturist/anaethatist that she subscribe, as she knows even less than I do about Hyundai's! ......................Peter P

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
I was wondering what time it was there.

Take a fresh look tomorrow and see about the other drain plug. I think it will become clear when you find it. Remember there are two oil pans, one for the engine and one for the gear case.

Let me know what you find and how I can help

Thank you