Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Hyundai Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Hyundai Diagnostics
18617752

Hyundai Santa Fe: check engine light is on, code p0455. bought

check engine light is on, code p0455. bought a new gas cap but light came back on. tried to get a NY inspection after having check engine light cleared at autozone but inspection place said that the computer sensors read not ready. how do I fix the code and get car ready for inspection. 2002 Santa Fe with 130000 miles.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! I'm Ron Z! Make sure to use Reply if needed! And PLEASE remember to RATE my answer at the end!

The P0455 is "EVAP System Large Leak Detected". First, make sure the replacement fuel cap you purchased meets Hyundai specs. If this is a "universal" or "locking" fuel cap, or a "discount" fuel cap purchaed from AutoZone, more than likely, it does not meet specs and will not seal the system correctly. If the cap is known good, then the next best course of action is to have the EVAP sysytem "smoked". This is where a machine forces smoke through the system, and the "Large Leak" will reveal itself. Another very common fail item on these vehicles that can set a P0455 is a faulty Purge Sontrol Solenoid Valve (PCSV). This solenoid should be tested for functionality and the vacuum lines in this area should be inspected for any cracks or holes.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, that's helpful. If I had autozone clear the check engine light, what do I need to do to return the car to where the NY state inspection computer can read the car. I tried various methods of driving a drive cycle but the mechanic said the cars computer couldn't be read.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
If the Check Engine light is currently off, then the only way to set the Readiness Monitors is to drive the vehicle. There is a "drive cycle" that Hyundai recommends that "should" reset the Monitors to ready (see image below. try to stick to the cycle as closely as possible. Sometimes the cycle needs to be done twice in a row). If the Check Engine light was cleared, and is now back on, that means the P0455 problem is still there, and the solution was not a new fuel cap. If this is the case, you will need to look into the suggestions above and resolve the problem.
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Also very helpful. I think I'm down to one last question - is the smoke machine repair leak something that my regular mechanic can do or do you recommend taking it taking it to a dealer. Can you recommend a dealer in Westchester County, NY?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
These days, just about every garage has a smoke machine. With every vehicle having an EVAP system, it's kind of a mandatory shop item. So, yes, use a local shop as this will always be cheaper than a Dealer. Prices for the test vary, but the average is around $40-$50. Unfortunately, we really aren't allowed to make a "recommendation" for any shops, as we try to stay independent. My suggestion is a reputable shop that has experience in emissions repairs. Try to find a shop that does Inspections, and has a seasoned Inspector. Many Inspectors are State-trained specifically for emissions repairs (I know, I am in Inspector here in my State)
Ron Z., - Hyundai Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Hyundai Diagnostics