Cardoctor74
Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE Technician
3827149

Hyundai Santa Fe: Trying to get the transmission out of 2002

Trying to get the transmission out of 2002 Santa Fe. It backs off 1/2 inch or so, but does not come off the pins? Can't figure out what is holding it.
Have you removed the bolts to the fly wheel?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes to the best of my knowledge, but honestly im not sure.. all the xmission to engine bolts are out all around, there are 2 small bolts on the bottom side in the little cubby with the plastic cover that lets you see the flywheel which i took out but that didnt do anything and i dont see any other bolts
Ok if you crank the engine around by hand and take a flash light through that cubby hole you should see the bolts to the flywheel .Let me know if they are removed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
they are not removed for sure in that case.. i have a haynes book and it never said anything about that.. and it seems like the transmission should pull off without disconnecting the flywheel first or no? what im doing is trying to change the clutch
Yes the bolts to the flywheel have to come out when they do the transmission will come out and you can remove the transmission housing and replace the clutch.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do you get the flywheel off without pulling the trans. It is bolted to the crank shaft. This is jakes dad. I have changed quite a few clutches, but on older vehicles.
Let me see if I can post the procedure for you .This is FWD or AWD?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
fwd
Let me see what I can post for you .
Sorry for the delay here is the issue you are having.You will need to withdraw the clutch thrust bearing operating arm out of the top of the gearbox, because the thrust bearing sits behind the clutch cover and stops you pulling the box out.Then the transmission will come right out .I use a pry bar on each side to remove the transmission .Hoped all this helped.Bonuses greatly appreciated.Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help anything lower then ok service gives me negative feedback and I do not get compensated for my time thanks . If you need further assistance just let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so any idea how to get the operating arm out of the gearbox? when i ipull on it, it does move but feels like there is some kind of clip stopping it from coming free
Yes the clip will pop off .If you just pull it towards you it will come off and the transmission will come out.The through out bearing stays there .You can try to pop it off with a pry par but I just pull them out and off.Let me know if you need further help.Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help anything lower then ok service gives me negative feedback and I do not get compensated for my time thanks . If you need further assistance just let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry about the delay i've been trying to get this thing out of the gear box, the only part i got to come out was a bushinig spacer kinda thing that keeps the small shaft with the spline that the release lever goes on from moving.. i've tried to pull the arm toward me and pull up and basically still cant get the whole thing out... i put alot more force trying to pry up than i felt safe with, seems like it shouldnt be that hard to pull out.. i could always be wrong though lol.. anyway i really appriciate the help and i will rate excellent for sure
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How can i withdraw the clutch thrust bearing operating arm out of the top of the gearbox, and could the operating arm stop the transmission from pulling away from the engine?
dad again. we will wait for you to start again. I told him to forget it till tomorrow. I let him do most all the work, he is 25 and don't have much knowledge, but some common sense. I looked myself and wasn't so sure. I am paying, and want to give you the credit for the answer. Talk to you tomorrow. ps we live in hawaii and it is 3:32 pm 7/23
Quick question did you remove the front sub frame bolts and lower the sub frame ?