George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

Hyundai Santa Fe: remove ignition switch on my santa fe

Customer Question

remove ignition switch on my santa fe. The key will not come out the steering wheel is locked. I have remove everything my steering wheel is hanging the plastic in the bottom of the ignition switch is remove .
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

To remove the switch you need to turn the security screws clamping the switch housing to the column. Use a small sharp chisel to tap the heads counterclockwise, once you get a couple of turns they will be finger tight the rest of the way. If you cannot turn them with a chisel the heads of the bolts will need to be drilled off to free the clamp.

The lock cylinder does not come out of the housing, the entire housing needs to be replaced.

Let me know what I can do to help you

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my service not the content as you may not like the answer but it is the truth. Only rate when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to click the lower two ratings they are negative feedback that sticks on my record so please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek to secure a positive rating.

Please let me know if the rating box is missing or you are unable to rate for any reason

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry but what you just said is greek to me. the entire steering column is down I have taken the 1 clamp loose from the part that "T's" into the steering column I see 1 ball bearing sticking up on this shaft but I push it down and nothing is helping. How do I get it out it seems to be a split and that clamp held it together. do I pry that split open what?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Tap the housing once you have the clamp off that holds the switch assembly to the column. There is nothing on the housing to allow the switch lock cylinder (the part with the key) to come out of the housing. You have to replace the entire assembly to replace the key switch.

Let me know if that is clearer.

If you have the clamp bolts out then tapping the housing will free it from the column

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I am to hammer it out some way or find a way to pry it out.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

NO!

The clamp with the two bolts that no longer have heads on them hold the camp around the steering column. Remove those two bolts and rock the steering wheel. In most cases the lock housing will fall out. If it does not TAP the housing with a hammer perpendicular to the axis of the steering column. There is a hardened steel pin on the housing that fits through a slot in the side of the column to lock the steering shaft. This is not attached in any way, it only is a pin in a groove about 1/2 inch long. Pulling the lock housing away from the column causes this pin to slide out of the groove in the column.

When you turn the key the pin is retracted so the steering is free, you cannot turn the key so the pin is still engaged.

Do not hammer, pry or use excessive force. Remove the clamp bolts (security screws), remove the clamp strap from around the column and pull the lock housing off the column.

Let me know if that is clear.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Their was only 1 bolt that held the clamp and that is removed. the key in the in the switch will not come out and will turn all around now. I know I have to replace the whole switch housing . I think the 1 ball bearing may have to be depressed while at same time pulling it away from the steering column. I am sorry if this more complicated than the usual.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

It sounds like you have the housing off the column now? There is nothing to depress or hold, the pin that sticks through the hole in the side of the column is the only thing holding it in place. If you can turn the key move it to the run position (you do have the switch unplugged?) and the pin should retract so the housing will come off the column. Give it a tap and it will fall off.

Let me know what you are seeing if you need further help.

You have the new housing with key?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunate the ignition switch is broken and will not disengage that locking pin. I don't know how to get it now.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

OK, you do not need to disengage the pin with the key as long as you have the clamp out tap the lock housing up and down until the pin slides out of the steering column along with the housing. If a couple of taps up and down don't free it try a couple of more side to side to work it free.

Let me know if you can work the housing off the column and the pin out along with it.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can not get it out. I thank you for your help. That pin is keeping me from getting the housing out. I may have to cold chisel it flush. Its in a place you can''t get to easily. Boy I don't know how car thieves are able to break steering wheel locks to steal cars.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

You are going to have to replace the entire housing in any case so see if you can get the tip of a screwdriver between the column and the lock housing and pry it. I have never had one that was really difficult to get out and I have done more than a dozen over the years.

The pin does not catch on anything so it should slide right out. You are using the steering wheel to turn the steering shaft back and forth as you pull the lock housing?

Let me know what I can do to help you

Thank you

George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience: Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If the key lock wasn't messed up it probably would have been easy to remove I was surprised how easy it broke inside. first the key would not come out. Then tried turning it back and forth then suddenly it turned freely in the housing I knew then it was completely broken. Again Thank You
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Sounds like the cam that turns to bring the lock pin back broke and the spring came out. In any case did you get the housing off the column? Rocking the steering wheel will help it come out.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you

Thank you