internal88
internal88, Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years in the Import Auto industry. Engineering background and diagnostic is my specialty.
63512786

Hyundai filter dryer

(if it has one where does it go) I have a 2005 Hyundai Sonata 2.7 which requires a new ac compressor. I purchased the AC compressor and accumulator dryer and handed it to a Hyundai dealer service tech. He installed the compressor and gave the dryer back to me claiming  the car doesn't have one and there is no place to install it. Is that the case or not. The registration says the model is a SG. Maybe a miss print so I'll go with SE  or it's just a Sonata no letters because I can't find any letter anywhere on the car.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  internal88 replied 2 years ago.

internal88 :

Hello and welcome

internal88 :

Your question is does this vehicle have a dryer, correct?

internal88 :

#1 this car does equipped with a drier. The part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

internal88 :

Full Size Image

internal88 :

See #3

internal88 :

Please let me know if I have helped you out.

internal88 :

If you have further question please ask.

Customer:

Hello, I am a customer service representative posting on behalf of the customer who is unable to view the chat. Please click on the 'Switch to Q&A' link at the top of the page to change the format of the page from Live Chat to Q&A so that the customer can access your reply and also please repost your reply as a new answer or info request. Thank you.

Please rewrite your statement again.
Did you see my answer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm looking at your picture . Is the item #3 the filter? If so where does line #10 go? I have to go back to the HYundai dealer and explain this to him that it needs a dryer so I what to make sure I know what I'm talking about.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you have any other angles for a picture of the filter dryer. Someone before me probably took it off and the service tech. tells me there isn't one and theres no room for one
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It would help when I bring the picture in to the service tech. to have the make model year and all info on the car with the detailed picture
Thanks Ron
This is the instruction straight from Hyundai. This is filter that you are talking about.
Remove the condenser, and then remove the bottom cap (B) from the receiver/drier tank (A).
Remove the desiccant from the receiver/drier tank using a long nose plier
Check for crumbled desiccant and clogged bottom cap filter.
Apply air conditioning compressor oil along the O-rings and threads of the new bottom cap.
Insert the new desiccant into the receiver drier tank. The desiccant must be sealed in vacuum before it is exposed to air for use.
Install the new bottom cap to the receiver drier tank. Tightening torque: 0.2 - 0.25Nm(2.0 - 2.5kg.cm, 0.1 4 - 0. 18lbf.ft) NOTE: Always replace the desiccant and bottom cap at the same time.

graphic
http://www.uacparts.com/catalog/homepage/Search/RD/Accumulators%20Driers-HYUNDAI.html
This link here sells the filter that you are looking for.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found the picture you sent was for a Sonata GLS. I have just a 05 Sonata no letter 2.7 v-6 . That's why I can't match it up to my car. The Napa part # XXXXX 418022 Desription Alum Filter Drie. Can you relook at this and send the correct drawing. I may not have been clear on the model. I have nothing mounted on the condenser.I I did find the letter LX in the owner manual and SG on the Registration if that helps. What ever SG stats for?Not to say someone hasn't removed it. Thank for or patients Ron
I found this part number in the autozone website Part Number: 83037.
I'm going verify it with the Hyundai manual for you.

I've verified the OE catalog. Your model does have a drier.

Another Hyundai website I want to show you.

http://www.partswebsite.com/hyundaipartswholesale/?i=2&make=127&model=2074&year=2005&catid=30128&subcatid=32181&section=108&type=parts

I hope you found my information helpful. If I have helped you out , please give me an excellent rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

For future reference:

I went to the Hyundai web site you gave me and talked to a tech. He said after May 04 Hyundai stopped installing filter dryers on the Sonata. This is way I can't located one on my car and the dealership says they have never installed one. I see you can purchase a XXXXXXXXXX but there is no place to install it.

This concerns me when Napa and everyone else says it will void the warrenty on the compressor if you don't change out the (accumulator) filter dryer. I wondered why ORiely parts ask me what month the car was made and I had no idea. Sorry this has taken so much of your time. Can you confirm this?

What is your vin Number? I will confirm it for you. If you like my service can you please give a good rating. Thank you very much.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
PLEAS DO Vin- KMHWF35H55A188617 I WAS TOLD THRU THE VIN IT WAS A GLS MODEL IT THAT CORRECT?
I will get back to you by 6,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If this is true has Hyundia come up with a compressor with a built on filter. The dealership told me the rebuilt compressor I supplied from Napa had one different size port they had to retorfit to make work.

The vin number was a good help. It solved the case and I think it is case close now. I went thru the OE Hyundai Database. They stop making the separated DRYER on 5/17/2004. After 5/17/2004 they use a bag integrated with the condenser. This is the bag that I showed you before with the instruction.

Your vehicle information is GLS, Silver color, manufactured on 12/20/2004 .

If I have helped you out please give me an excellent rating thank you.

This is the instruction for the filter bag.

• Remove the condenser, and then remove the bottom cap (B) from the receiver/drier tank (A). WARNING: Use of impact wrench may cause cracking on the receiver/drier tank connecting pipe to the condenser.
  • Remove the desiccant from the receiver/drier tank using a long nose plier
  • Check for crumbled desiccant and clogged bottom cap filter.
  • Apply air conditioning compressor oil along the O-rings and threads of the new bottom cap.
  • Insert the new desiccant into the receiver drier tank. The desiccant must be sealed in vacuum before it is exposed to air for use.
  • Install the new bottom cap to the receiver drier tank. Tightening torque: 0.2 - 0.25Nm(2.0 - 2.5kg.cm, 0.1 4 - 0. 18lbf.ft) NOTE: Always replace the desiccant and bottom cap at the same time.
  • Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hopefully last question:

It says I have to replace the desiccant and bottom cap and o-rings. Do you have a part# XXXXX these devices?

If I have helped you out, please rate me an excellent service. Thank you.
    internal88, Technician
    Experience: Over 10 years in the Import Auto industry. Engineering background and diagnostic is my specialty.