George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years

2000 Hyundai Accent: will turn over but wont start.

Customer Question

2000 Hyundai Accent 3 door Manual. will turn over but won't start. Spark OK but no fuel.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

In reading your question you have no fuel pressure but you do hear the pump running?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

So the pump is not running while you are cranking the engine.

Use a paperclip to jumper the #87 to the #30 pin sockets of the fuel pump relay and if you still do not hear the pump running check the paperclip for power. If you have power lift the rear seat cushion and access the pump through the cover under the seat. Check the fuel pump connector for battery voltage, if you have battery voltage to the pump connector but no pressure pull the pump out and replace it.

Let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
With #87 & #30 bridged at relay there is 12V on the blue wire at the fuel tank connector. Do you agree that the fuel pump is the problem?
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

As long as you cannot hear the pump running and have no fuel being pumped to the rail I would say the pump died. The only other check is between the pins at the pump connector to verify ground. You should still see battery voltage. If the pump runs but you still have no pressure there is a fluid connection at the top of the pump that can crack and leak the pressure.

At least they made this pump easy to get to and replace.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
While i was at the connector i checked all 5 wires. One has the battery from the bridge, Two black wires had good earths. The other two (fuel level?) One open circuit the other small resistance. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Glad you checked, I would order the pump.

Please let me know if you have further questions

Thank you