Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Hyundai Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Hyundai Diagnostics

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe: two fault codes..p0441..evap..canister.

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.6 L

My Santa Fe is displaying two fault codes: P0441 and P0446. Both are related to the evap. canister. Where is the evap. canister located and how should I go about determining and correcting the fault codes?
Welcome! I'm Ron Z! I will do my best to answer all of your questions. For easy access to this thread, bookmark it now! Please read everything!
The P0441 and P0446 are related, however, they are not pointing to a problem with the EVAP Canister. The P0441 is pointing to a fault in the Purge Control Solenoid Valve. When this valve is not functioning correctly, the amount of vapors being purged from the canister is greater than the volume of fresh air entering into the canister. This causes the canister to build up vacuum. When the canister increases in vacuum, the remainder of the system (fuel tank, hoses, separator, etc.) will also increase in vacuum. The fuel tank pressure sensor measures and reports the vacuum level (in volts) to the ECM. If the vacuum level reaches beyond the ECM threshold, P0446 is set into ECM memory. So, in this case, the best place to start is with the PCSV. These actually have a high fail rate on these vehicle. Carefully inspect the electrical connection for any loose, broken or rubbed through wires. Carefully inspect the vacuum lines to the solenoid for any cracks, holes or loose/missing connectiions If the visual inspection checks ok, suspect a faulty PCSV as the root cause of both codes.