Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  30 year ASE Master tech
2947720

1998 Hyundai Excel: crankshaft sensor..Diagrams..mechanical experience

Where is crankshaft sensor on 1998 Hyundai Excel? And how do I replace it. Diagrams would be useful as I have no mechanical experience. Thanks
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. Please DON’T hit accept until you are completely satisfied with the answer. If you need any more on it just let me know. About your vehicle.

..

.

graphic

CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
The crankshaft position sensor which consists of a magnet and coil is installed by the flywheel.

graphic

Crankshaft Position Sensor - Replacement Procedure

Group: ENGINE ELECTRICAL

Number: 99-36-010

Date: JULY, 1999

Model 1996-99 ACCENT 1996-99 ELANTRA 1996-99 TIBURON Subject
CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE

DESCRIPTION:

When replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor on a 1996 to 1999 Accent, Elantra or Tiburon, it is important to note differences in the construction of the original sensor and the replacement sensor.

graphic

COMPARISON OF CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR HOUSING (39180-22050)

The sensor construction was modified in 1997. The sensor's housing material was changed from a metallic design to a plastic design (as can be seen in the picture).

NOTE: It is very important, when replacing an old style sensor with a new style sensor, that the O-Ring and the plastic washer be removed from the sensor mounting hole before the new sensor is installed.

graphic

If the O-Ring and/or the plastic washer is not removed from the sensor mounting hole, the new sensor will not fit properly

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the info. But I need to know exactly where to look to find it - in laymans terms please. Not sure what a fly wheel is and the diagrams don't show my anything that I can recognise. Could you please describe it to me if you don't have photos/diagrams please. I think I have an idea but don't want to do anything that will stuff my engine completely!! Do I need to remove anything to get access to the area?
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.
The flywheel is at the back of the engine, (at the trans) and the crankshaft position sensor is toward the bottom. The sohc and dohc have them in the same place. The only picture I found was the sohc. You can see the crank sensor at the far right, (lower) with the wire coming off of it.

..

.

graphic

There is nothing that has to come off to get to it. The labor time is 0.4 hours (24 minutes) and it is held in with one small bolt. If you have the new one, just find the thing that looks just like it, (?)

..
.

Thanks

*

*

*

PLEASE NOTE; YOU MUST HIT THE ACCEPT BUTTON TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

*

*
*