Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Hyundai Santa Fe: how do I remove the brake rotor to replace

Customer Question

how do I remove the brake rotor to replace striped studes is a 2002 Santa Fa left front
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

It is a floating rotor, which means that nothing holds on once wheel and caliper is off.

If still the factory rotor, there should be 2 threaded holes in between the lug studs. use 2 bolts to thread in them and tighten alternately to press the rotor off. the bolts hit the hub face and press the rotor off of it:

graphic

you can also spray the center of the rotor where the hub comes thru with some wd40 and hit face of rotor with a rubber hammer to pop it free.

another option is to use a a large 3prong puller to pull it off:

graphic

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you
.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask for more help, otherwise please click the accept button to pay for services rendered per customer agreement as this is a paysite and expert is not paid for their time, knowledge or services until you do so.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

tryed your idia of gear puller but still dose not move and the holes you talked about have philipse screws in them that I can't move.

not sure if someting else is holding. what drives the front wheel if this is just a slip fit?

any other idias?

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

you need to remove those 2 screws. use an impact screwdriver(about $10 from parts house) to remove them

graphic

you insert the phillips head end into driver and then place it in screw. while holding the driver with one hand and putting pressure counterclockwise on it, strike the end of the driver with a hammer. This will loosen those screws.

Once they are off, the rotor will slide off.

the cv axle, which goes thru the hub is what drives it, and it is held in place with that large nut you see. But it doesnt need to come off for this
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am having to pull the housing to remove the studes as will not come out any other way do I need to remove the bolt in bal that is hooked to the swing arm to get the swing arm to drop away?
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

you asked about the rotor, which I provided directions for per hyundai service field manual and have not been compensated. This is a new and different question. Before I help with this, including uploading any needed factory directions, you do need to click the accept button to pay for original question per your customer agreement. this is a paysite. I will be happy to answer this new and different question as free followup help, but it is not related to the first and therefore the first needs to be accepted
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is part of replacing studes as was part of the orginal question
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

you didnt ask on how to replace the studs. you asked how to remove the rotor.

the hub has to be pressed out. to remove the spindle, you remove the cv axle shaft nut, remove the 2 bolts that hold the strut to the spindle, remove the pinch bolt that holds the lower ball joint to spindle and then spindle is free.

as I have to pay for the factory diagrams, I dont upload these until I am paid so that I do not lose more money.

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

here are factory diagrams for spindle(steering knuckle) removal:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

DO NOT CLICK THE ACCEPT BUTTON THIS TIME, OR YOU GET CHARGED AGAIN