Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Hyundai Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Hyundai Diagnostics
18617752

Hyundai Elantra: my malfunction indicator light just went on.

Customer Question

my malfunction indicator light just went on. What does this mean? Can I drive my car?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

When the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) (aka Check Engine light) comes on, this is the on-board computer's way of telling you it sees a problem in one of the monitored systems. Unfortunately, there are litterally 100's of parts and sensors monitored in various systems, and to take a "guess" as to which part/sensor in which system is faulty, is virtually impossible. However, if you are not experiencing any drivability issues such as skipping, stalling, shifting problems, etc, then more than likely, the problem is going to lie in the EVAP (emissions) system. Very commonly, this could be a faulty, loose or missing fuel cap or even putting fuel in while the vehicle is running. Check the cap for any cracks in the rubber o-ring on the underside. Check the fuel filler neck for any signs of chips or debris. Check under the vehicle, around the area of the fuel tank and the EVAP canister looking for any vacuum lines that have dry-rot cracks, holes or loose/missing connections. If these all check out, then the best thing to do at this point is to have the "p-codes" read from the on-board computer. These p-codes are what is used as a "starting point" for the diagnosis and will tell which part/sensor in which system has the fault. There isn't a Mechanic on the planet that can tell you what is wrong with the vehicle just by "looking" at the Engine Light. Every single Mechanic's first course of action WILL be to obtain the p-codes. Once you get these p-codes you can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem and then make the repair. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). If you still need help after retrieving the codes, you can bring them here, and any of our Techs can walk you through the diagnostic procedure, and then even help you make the repair if you feel confident enough to try.

As long as you are not experiencing any drivability issues, it's perfectly safe to drive the vehicle. I would strongly recommend having the Free code read done as soon as you can, if for nothing else, peace of mind. Very commonly this will be an EVAP problem, but there are some problems, for example- a faulty Oxygen Sensor, that will present without any drivabilty issues, however, can impact things like Fuel Economy, so it's best to have it checked at your earliest convenience.

Ron Z., - Hyundai Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Hyundai Diagnostics
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I realize there is a one time fee of 18.00. Please do not charge me for more that that! I don't wish to extent this for months at a time. My computer is having trouble getting into my account, so I just wanted to make this clear.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.

The Experts here at Just Answer have no control over billing, what-so-ever. Billing is an issue you must take up with the Just Answer staff. No experts can help you with billing questions. Please read the FAQ to get the correct email address you need.