Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.

2003 Hyundai Sonata: for an oil change the other day

Hello, My son has a 2003 Hyundai Sonata, 4 cylinder. My wife took it to Walmart for an oil change the other day. They messed up three times overfilling it. They finally got it right, but now it will run when its warm and die after it warms up. Once it cools down it runs fine. It had a fault code for cam position sensor and cylinder 2 and 3 misfire. I replaced the coil that controls those two cylinders and the plugs and wires. It runs smoother, but still dies after it runs for awhile.
Hi there!
Replace the cam sensor as well. The cam sensor drives the spark and fuel injection. These have a habit of getting hot and failing on these.
Here is a diagram of the location of the cam sensor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That didn't fix it. Any other ideas?
Do you know if it is losing spark or fuel when it stalls and won't restart?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I pulled one spark plug wire while it was running right and the spark was very strong. When it died I did the same thing and it had spark, but it seemed very weak. I also sprayed carb cleaner into the intake and it didn't seem to help.
Ok, no cam sensor code anymore I presume?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not the last time I had it checked.

A weak spark could be the result of a poor ground. Check the main negative battery cable from the battery to the engine/transmission. Make sure it is clean and no swelling.
Also, loosen and re tighten the grounds around the engine and the engine compartment.