Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience:  27 year and 16 year as shop owner, import technician
29331485

Hyundai Santa Fe: 04 Hyundai santa fe 2.4 Po320 ignition

Customer Question

04 Hyundai santa fe 2.4 Po320 ignition fail sensor code in pcm and tach not working. car runs fine and its not the crank sensor. changed the ign fail sensor and that did not fix it, The wireing diagram shows a ground, a power, a ignition control signal to ecm and a wire from the coils. All wires tested good.
I can't find any info on what kind of signal the coils give to the sensor. anyway,
Can anyone help with possible causes??
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.

Here is all the information you will need to rectify this issue .

Component Location

General Description
Ignition failure sensor is used to check whether the spark ignition is occurred correctly or not and also used to tachometer drive. The sensor monitors the voltage difference between a resistance which is on the battery circuit for ignition coil. When the ignition coil works properly, the electric current through the resistance is detected as voltage drop. This is confirmed for every ignition event with the crankshaft sensor and the camshaft sensor. If PCM detects a malfunction, no ignition is possible, so the engine would not start. If there is no ignition signal for a predetermined cycle for one or two ignition coils, an ignition coil circuit failure exists.
DTC Description
If there is no current at the 2 ignition coil group during 32 ignitions, the PCM determines that a fault exists and a DTC is stored.
DTC Detecting Condition
Item
Detecting Condition
Possible cause
DTC Strategy
● Current through ignition coil is monitored
● Poor connection
● Open or short in IG failure sensor circuit
● Faulty IG failure sensor
● Faulty PCM
Enable Conditions
● -
Threshold value
● No current at the 2 IG coil group during 32 ignitions
Diagnosis Time
● Continuous
MIL On Condition
● 1 driving cycle

Schematic Diagram

Terminal and Connector Inspection
1.Many malfunctions in the electrical system are caused by poor harness and terminals. Faults can also be caused by interference from other electrical systems, and mechanical or chemical damage.
2.Thoroughly check connectors for looseness, poor connection, bending, corrosion, contamination, deterioration, or damage.
3.Has a problem been found? YES ▶ Repair as necessary and go to "Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure. NO ▶ Go to " Power Circuit Inspection" procedure.
Power Supply Circuit Inspection
1.Check power to IG failure sensor
(1)Ignition "OFF"
(2)Disconnect IG failure sensor connector.
(3)Ignition "ON" & Engine "OFF"
(4)Measure voltage between terminal "4" of IG failure sensor harness connector and chassis ground. Specification : B+

(5)Is the measured voltage within specifications? YES ▶ Go to " Ground Circuit Inspection " procedure. NO ▶ Check for open or short to ground in harness, repair as necessary and then go to "Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure.
Ground Circuit inspection
1.Check for open in harness
(1)Ignition "OFF"
(3)Measure resistance between terminal "1" of IG failure sensor harness connector and chassis ground. Specification : Approx. below 1Ω

(4)Is the measured resistance within specifications? YES ▶ Go to " Power Output Circuit Inspection ' procedure. NO ▶ Check open in harenss. ▶ Repair or replace as necessary and then, go to " Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure.
POWER OUTPUT CIRCUIT INSPECTION
1.Check for open in harness
(1)Ignition "OFF"
(2)Disconnect IG failure sensor connector and ignition coil connectors.
(3)Measure resistance between terminal "3" of IG failure sensor harness connector and "1" of each ignition coil harness connector. Specification : Approx. below 1Ω

(4)Is the measured resistance within specifications? YES ▶ Go to " Signal Circuit Inspection ' procedure. NO ▶ Check open in harenss between IG failure sensor and Ignition coil. ▶ Repair or replace as necessary and then, go to " Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure.
Signal Circuit Inspection
1.Check for short to ground in harness
(1)Ignition "OFF"
(2)Disconnect IG failure sensor connector and PCM connector.
(3)Measure resistance between terminal "2" of IG failure sensor harness connector and chassis ground. Specification : Infinite

(4)Is the measured resistance within specifications? YES ▶ Go to " Check for short to battery in harness " as below. NO ▶ Check short to ground in signal harness. ▶ Repair or replace as necessary and then, go to " Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure.
2.Check for short to battery in harness
(1)Ignition "OFF"
(3)Measure resistance between terminals "2" and "4" of IG failure sensor harness connector.
(4)Measure resistance between terminals "2" and "3" of IG failure sensor harness connector. Specification : Infinite

(5)Is the measured resistance within specifications? YES ▶ Go to " Check for open in harness " as below. NO ▶ Check short to battery in signal harness. ▶ Repair or replace as necessary and then, go to " Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure.
3.Check for open in harness
(1)Ignition "OFF"
(2)Disconnect IG failure sensor and PCM connector.
(3)Measure resistance between terminal "2" of IG failure sensor harness connector and terminal "3/C21-2" of PCM harness connector. Specification : Approx. below 1Ω

(4)Is the measured resistance within specifications? YES ▶ Go to " Component Circuit Inspection " procedure. NO ▶ Check open in harness between IG failure sensor connector and PCM connector. ▶ Repair or replace as necessary and then, go to " Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure.

Verification of Vehicle Repair
After a repair, it is essential to verify that the fault has been corrected.
1.Monitor and record the Freeze Frame Data for the Diagnostic Trouble Code(DTC) which has been diagnosed.
2.Using a Scantool, Clear the DTCs.
3.Operate the vehicle within conditions noted in the freeze frame data or enable conditions.
4.Monitor that all readiness test have been verified as " Complete "
5.Are any DTCs present ? YES ▶ Go to the applicable troubleshooting procedure. NO ▶ System is performing to specification at this time.

If you need further assistance with this issue please let me know.

Kind regards Greg

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.

Component Location

General Description
DTC Description
DTC Detecting Condition
Item
Detecting Condition
Possible cause
DTC Strategy
● Poor connection
● Faulty IG failure sensor
● Faulty PCM
Enable Conditions
● -
Threshold value
Diagnosis Time
● Continuous
MIL On Condition
● 1 driving cycle

Schematic Diagram

Terminal and Connector Inspection
Power Supply Circuit Inspection
1.Check power to IG failure sensor
(1)Ignition "OFF"
(3)Ignition "ON" & Engine "OFF"

Ground Circuit inspection
1.Check for open in harness
(1)Ignition "OFF"

POWER OUTPUT CIRCUIT INSPECTION
1.Check for open in harness
(1)Ignition "OFF"

Signal Circuit Inspection
1.Check for short to ground in harness
(1)Ignition "OFF"

2.Check for short to battery in harness
(1)Ignition "OFF"

3.Check for open in harness
(1)Ignition "OFF"

Verification of Vehicle Repair
2.Using a Scantool, Clear the DTCs.

Kind regards Greg

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it possible to have a bad coil causing this but the car still runs good?
would you put a scope on the coil sensor circut and check for spilkes?
I am testing the circiut to the computor from the failer sensor now. all other wires tested good. power, ground and coil wires.
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.

I don't think this is your coil as you would have a few more codes like a P0300 or even a P0350.

You have probably a wiring harness problem, if you replaced the IG failure sensor .

Or most likely a PCM problem .

The best way to test for this issue is to have a scope to check this fully though .

there is not much that i can do from here .

But remembering the last time i had this issue it was a wiring issue from the coil wiring check this well you will probably find it .

Otherwise there might be a reflash for this issue this you will have to ask/ring your local dealer if there is a reflash for this code.

Kind regards Greg