George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

How do you remove the battery positive terminal on a 2002 Hyundai

How do you remove the battery positive terminal on a 2002 Hyundai Elantra?
The terminal that sits on top of the battery post carries a cap and over that is a stud with a washer and nut.When you are loosening the nut, the washer and stud is spinning as 1 assembly.
Also, i noticed this vehicle does not carry a battery holddown.Is it normally located on the side of the battery towards the headlight or does it carry a cross-brace over the battery?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

This type of connector is known to break. You can try tapping on the end of the stud with a small hammer and try to push it down as you turn the nut, hold the stud lightly with vise grips and loosen the nut or just cut the nut off and replace the connector with a repair end. To get the stud or a new connector you have to buy the entire cable.

You can just pry the connector up off the post, take out the stud and grind the head of a bolt to make a new stud that fits up in the connector.

The hold down is bolted to the headlight side of the battery at the bottom of the battery

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

]

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this type of positive connector standard on all Elantras? What model years?
Also, how does this type of connector tighten up when installing on the positive battery post?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
The 2001 - 2005 (I think) is when they used this connector. The connector is part of the cable so if you are looking for pieces great but if you need to replace it you need the whole cable or you have to use a repair end.

The stud and nut pull up on the cone shaped inner liner which is clamped to the post by the outer shell. Holding the connector firmly down as you tighten the nut gets the best clamping action.

Let me know what I can do to help but I have to step out for an hour or so.

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am thinking of just replacing the stud and nut after removing from the battery post.
Is the stud attached to the inner liner under the outer shell or is it freestanding on its own?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
The stud will pull out of the inner liner with a little help from a punch. You can try to find another one or a little work with a grinder on a 6x1.0x15mm bolt head will allow the bolt to seat fully in the recess at the top of the cone and then you don't have to search for one.

Let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience: Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for all your help. I loved your detailed explanation.