Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.
2921078

Hyundai Santa Fe: 2003 hyundai santa fe 4 cyl. cylinder 1 misfire

2003 hyundai santa fe 4 cyl. cylinder 1 misfire replaced plugs wires and coil cleared computer and code came back up and the rough idle and hesatation at accel. has gotten worse what else do i need to be checking
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there!
You need to get a noid light and check to make sure the fuel injector is getting signal to fire. Also, pull the plug wire and make sure there is spark coming from the wire.
Lastly, do a compression test, it is possible there is an issue inside the engine and low compression on cylinder 1
Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i try to do most work myself to save money i have put a spark tester on the wire and fires fine. would the injector not firing cause there to be a strong gas smell on start up? when idleing the car just shakes and when excellerating from a stop the car has begun to strongly hesitate. what should my compression be and what are the difference in signs from worn rings and vales or valve seats? as i said i do work myself as much as possible as money is tight these days.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
If you smell fuel, check for a vacuum leak at the intake.
With the engine running, spray some carb cleaner along the intake manifold and the pcv valve. If the idle smooths out, then you have a vacuum leak,
As for the compression, it should be around 170 psi.
If it is low, take a cap full of oil and put it in the plug hole. Then retest. If compression comes up it's a ring issue, if compression stays the same, then it is a valve issue.
Also, you may want to remove the O2 sensor from the exhaust manifold and test drive the car, if it runs better you may have a plugged up converter.
Since it is a single cylinder misfire, it isn't likely, but it is possible.
Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the strong fuel smell comes from the exhaust but only when first started
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
That is probably the misfire. I think I would start with the compression test. You might have to try swapping the fuel injector with the one next to it and see if the misfire code moves with it as well. Could be a injector that isn't spraying properly.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience: I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.