Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2000 Hyundai Elantra: seized..Jiffy Lube put..oil filter..oil pressure

Customer Question

My 2000 Hyundai Elantra completely ran out of oil quickly and the motor seized up and needs to be replaced. Jiffy Lube put on an after-market oil filter and the liner bulged out. My Hyundai service man said that this filter, a MIGHTY ENGINE GUARD II M4612, has a built-in oil pressure release valve (he showed me one). The Jiffy Lube area director says that's not true and the car itself has an oil pressure release valve in the engine and he's quite sure that the loss of oil & damage are due to the car's OPRV malfunctioning. Can you help me? Jiffy Lube has sent the filter from my car into the manufacturer and an independent company for inspection and I'm awaiting the results. Thank you for any info you can provide me. Rosie
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

the oil pump has an oil pressure relief valve and spring. they are referred to as the relief plunger and spring.

here is straight from the Hyundai service site for technicians:

graphic

As to which caused the loss of oil, it could honestly be either due to the oil filter or the oil pump pressure relief valve. I have seen both cause this in this particular 2.0L engine
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

graphic
View Full Image