internal88
internal88, Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years in the Import Auto industry. Engineering background and diagnostic is my specialty.

2007 Hyundai: van..computer code for the o2 sensor -- bank 2

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Hyundai Entourage van. I get a computer code for the O2 sensor -- bank 2, sensor 2. It comes on and off at times. On for 2 days, off for a week. What is going on? And where is it located? I have replaced 2 of the four sensors in the very recent past.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.

Name is XXXXX XXXXX i will assist you the best i can, please Only accept if you are happy with my answer.

Could you give me the codes that where read , this will help me help you.

Kind regards greg

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think the code was P0605. O2 sensor, bank 2 sensor 2.
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.

Hi .

No i don#t think it was the P0605 could you please have this checked , this you could still do today all you have to do is drive down to AutoZone and get a free code readout done .

Regards Greg

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
The code P0160 comes on and off at times. It is the O2 sensor. Where is it located and what are the parameters for checking to see if it is good?
Expert:  internal88 replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX can help you with the second opinion.
Here is the parameter that you requested.

The first sensor is located at the exhaust manifold under the hood.
The second sensor is located underneath the engine (near the oil pan).

internal88, Technician
Experience: Over 10 years in the Import Auto industry. Engineering background and diagnostic is my specialty.
This should help you out.

Please ACCEPT my Answer if I have helped you. This is how I get credit for my time researching your question. A BONUS is greatly appreciated! I will still help you after the acceptance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What are the parameters for continuity (ohms) for the O2 sensor to see if it is good. The code said sensor 2 on bank 2. Therefore is this the one in the back or front?
I have already gave you the parameters see the past reply. Sensor 2 means the one located in the back (underneath the car).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was not able to view the diagram you attached, it gives me an error message when I try to open it. Sorry.
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi .

Here is the location and how you can check this issue ,
Changing the sensors with this code is very rare that it is in fact the sensors .

Component Location

General Description
The rear heated oxygen sensor is mounted on the rear side of the Catalytic Converter (warm-up catalytic converter) or in the rear exhaust pipe, which is able to detect catalyst efficiency. The rear heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) produces a voltage between 0V and 1V. This rear heated oxygen sensor is used to estimate the oxygen storage capability. If a catalyst has good conversion properties, the oxygen fluctuations are smoothed by the oxygen storage capacity of the catalyst. If the conversion provided by the catalyst is low due to aging, poisoning or misfiring, then the oxygen fluctuations are similar to signals from the front oxygen sensor.
DTC Description
Checking output signals from HO2S under detecting condition, if an output voltage is approx.0.45V or 3.5V for more than predeterminate time, PCM sets P0160. MIL(Malfunction Indication Lamp) turns on when the malfunction lasts till consecutive 2 driving cycle.
DTC Detecting Condition
Item
Detecting Condition
Possible cause
DTC Strategy
● Monitor signal voltage
● Poor connection
● Open in harness
● HO2S(B2/S2)
● PCM
Enable Conditions
● Battery voltage ≥ 10V
● Engine running ≥ 60 sec.
● Engine warm-up state
● No disable faults
Threshold value
Case 1
● 1.2V ≤ Voltage of HO2S ≤ 3.9V(at pumping current ON)
Case 2
● 0.415V ≤ Voltage of HO2S ≤ 0.515V(at pumping current OFF)
Diagnosis Time
● Continuous (more than 76.5 sec.failure for every 90 sec.test)
MIL On Condition
● 2 Driving Cycles

Specification
(Reference only)
Test Condition
HO2S Voltage(Sensor1)
HO2S Voltage(Sensor2)
HO2S Signal at idle after warm-up
Signal is commonly switching from rich to lean more than 3 times in 10 sec.
Signal is commonly above 0.6V.
HO2S signal at open circuit (Pumping current OFF)
Approx. 0.45V
HO2S signal at open circuit (Pumping current ON)
Approx. 3.5V

Schematic Diagram
Signal Waveform

Terminal and Connector Inspection

1.Many malfunctions in the electrical system are caused by poor harness and terminals. Faults can also be caused by interference from other electrical systems, and mechanical or chemical damage.
2.Thoroughly check connectors for looseness, poor connection, bending, corrosion, contamination, deterioration, or damage.
3.Has a problem been found ?YES▶ Repair as necessary and go to "Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedureNO▶ Go to " Signal Circuit Inspection " procedure.
Signal Circuit Inspection
1.IG "OFF" and disconnect HO2S(B2/S2) connector.
2.IG "ON" and ENG "OFF"
3.Measure voltage between terminal 3 of HO2S(B2/S2) harness connector and chassis ground.
A.Specification :Approx. 3.5V - when pumping current is ONApprox. 0.45V - when pumping current is OFF

4.Is the measured voltage within specification?YES▶ Go to "Ground Circuit Inspection" procedure.NO▶ Repair open in harness, and go to "Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure.
Ground Circuit inspection
1.IG "ON" and disconnect HO2S(B2/S2) connector.
2.Measure voltage between terminal 3 of HO2S(B2/S2) harness connector and chassis ground.
3.Measure voltage between terminals 3 and 4 of HO2S(B2/S2) harness connector.
A.Specification : Voltage difference between measurement "A" and "B" is below 200mV.

4.Is the measured voltage within specification?YES▶ Go to "Component Inspection" procedure.NO▶ Repair open in harness, and go to "Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure.

Component Inspection

1.Check the Signal waveform of HO2S
(1)IG "OFF" and connect HO2S connector.
(2)Engine start.
(3)After warming-up, monitor signal waveform of HO2S with scantool.

(4)Is the sensor switching properly?
YES
1)Go to "Check HO2S" as below.
NO
1)Substitute with a known - good HO2S and check for proper operation.If the problem is corrected, go to "Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure.
2.Check HO2S
(1)IG "OFF" and disconnect HO2S connector.
(2)Check that the HO2S is securely installed.
(3)Check the HO2S for contamination or damage
(4)Is the sensor normal?
YES
1)Substitute with a known - good PCM and check for proper operation.If the problem is corrected, go to "Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure.
NO
There is a memory reset function on scantool that can erase optional parts automatically detected and memorized by PCM. Before or after testing PCM on the vehicle, use this function to reuse the PCM on the others

Verification of Vehicle Repair.

After a repair, it is essential to verify that the fault has been corrected.

1.Monitor and record the Freeze Frame Data for the Diagnostic Trouble Code(DTC) which has been diagnosed.
2.Using a Scantool, Clear the DTCs
3.Operate the vehicle within conditions noted in the freeze frame data or enable conditions
4.Monitor that all rediness test have been verified as " Complete "
5.Are any DTCs present ?YES▶ Go to the applicable troubleshoooting procedure.NO▶ System is performing to specification at this time

Need further assistance with this issue please get back to me.

Kind regards Greg
Rich air fuel.ratio output voltage should be .75 - 1.0 v Lean air fuel ratio should be 0 - .12vSensor heater resistance should be 8.1 - 11.1 ohms at 70 deg f .Bank 2 , sensor 2 is the one located in front if the engine at the bottom.I hope this will help you out.
internal88, Technician