Amedee
Amedee, Hyundai Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Hyundai Sonata GLS: My hood will not open, the latch release

Customer Question

My hood will not open, the latch release in the car is hard to pull but hood will not pop up. how do I get to latch from grill to release the hood latch?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with.

Can you see where the hood cable connects to the hood latch either through the grill or from underneath?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can see the lever under the hood, but I am not sure whether that lever has to be pushed to the right (at the top of the lever) or pulled to the left (again at the top of the lever). I am at the Hyundai dealer in Burlington Ontario and they are scratching their heads trying to open the hood
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. if your looking at it from the front of the vehicle, the cable comes into the latch from the drivers side. It is tightly secured to the bottom part of the latch. When you pull the hood release lever inside the vehicle, the cable at the hood latch under the hood will pull or squeeze a lever towards the drivers side and the hook holding the hood will release to the left and the hood will pop open.

You are going to want to find the moving part of the cable and push it to the drivers side of the vehicle. If you re standing in front of the vehicle, the cable will need to be pushed to the right to release the hood.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does the cable attach tot he bottom of that lever? I have not access to the cable theat goes to the lever, but I can see the top, with some effort I can get to it. Just need to know if I push top to right or left ?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

YES.. the cable attachés to the bottom of the latch. The top part of the latch needs to be pushed to the left. The cable that squeezes the bottom part of the latch to release it needs to be pushed to the right as you are standing in front of the vehicle.

You might be better luck coming in front underneath the vehicle.
Amedee, Hyundai Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will go out to shoppe and talk to mechanic,
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good!

Let me know how it goes!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
worked. thanks for the help. looks like I will have to replace hood latching system. recurring problem.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
EXCELLENT!

Glad to hear it worked!

HAve a great weekend!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do. You too. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
You bet!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here