KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY QUESTION CORRECTLY
5629372

Where is the fuse for the radio on a 2007 hyundai elantra

Customer Question

where is the fuse for the radio on a 2007 hyundai elantra
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 2 years ago.

KALAMYKID :

There are actualy three fuses for the radio, the adio fuse " 15 amp" you found, the clock fuse "10 amp" in the same fuse box, and the amp fuse " 25 amp". Check these other two fuses and see if they are blown please.

Customer:

the clock works I pulled every fuse in both boxes and nothing is burned

KALAMYKID :

DO you have a test light or a digtal volt meter to do some testing with?

Customer:

we had our son inlaw over and there was power to the constant and nothing to the hot wire from the ignition

KALAMYKID :

So he tested at the back of the radio for power?

Customer:

he tested the wiring harness from the back of the radio

KALAMYKID :

Did he test the fuses themself to see if there was power to both sides of the fuses with the fuses still in the fuse box?

Customer:

I am not sure I know he tested the fuses out of the fuse box we will try calling him

KALAMYKID :

ok. If he did not, do you have a test light or a digital volt meter to see if the fuses have power?

Customer:

yes he did

KALAMYKID :

Ad all three of these fuss had power to both sides? Did he use a digital volt meter to see how many volts the fuses had?

Customer:

yes 12 when the ignition was on

Customer:

then went down to 11.8

KALAMYKID :

Did he test the amp fuse also?

Customer:

yes that was good

KALAMYKID :

The radio gets its switched power from the clock fuse when the igniotion switch is turned to the run position. If he did not get a 12 volt signal from the clock fuse at the back of the radio, then there has to be a short from the clock fuse to the radio, as this wire does not run though any switches. The clock fuse only has power to it when the ignition switch is in the run position. The radio fuse shoudl be hot at all times and is the memory power feed for the clock and the radio.

Customer:

my son in law is coming back over to re-check the clock fuse.

Customer:

can i leave this chat open if he has any questions

Customer:

we don't quite understand what you are saying, hoepfully my son-inlaw can understand

KALAMYKID :

Yes that will be fine to leave this chat open till he gets there that way we can work on this when he does get there.

Customer:

any way of talking directly with you over a phone, hate to ask

KALAMYKID :

Do you have a digital volt meter and a test light there with you. I can walk youthrough doing the testing step by step if you do.

Customer:

no we dont

KALAMYKID :

I wish the site woudl let us do that, but it is site policy " NO personal contact or info swapiing".

KALAMYKID :

When he gets there, I will work with him to solve this problem. DO you know how long till he gets there?

Customer:

i understand he should be here soon

KALAMYKID :

Just post a message when he gets there and I will be here to help both of you solve this problem.

Customer:

he is here rechecking the 3rd fuse you talked about

KALAMYKID :

ok

KALAMYKID :

So he is checking the clock fuse?

Customer:

all three fuses power both sides clock is on

KALAMYKID :

ask him to check the yellow wire at teh back of the radio and see ifit has 12 volts with the ignition switch in te run position please.

Customer:

there is not 12volts at yellow wire

KALAMYKID :

how did he test the clock fuse?

Customer:

only wire with 12 volts on radio harness is the constante red wire

Customer:

with digital volt meter

Customer:

car in run postion

KALAMYKID :

did he leave the fuse in the fuse box and test both of the little metal pins that stick out the top of the fuse for 12 volts?

Customer:

left in than pulled out to ohm it

Customer:

yes check 12 volt from little pins on top of fuse while in fuse block

KALAMYKID :

If both sides of the fuse had 12 volts at the clock fuse, then the yellow wire from the fuse box, to the radio has a short in it. Ask him to set his meter to ohms, and test the yellow wire at the back of the radio to ground and see what his reading is please.

Customer:

which yellow wire there r two of them

KALAMYKID :

The ignition switch can bo off for this test.

KALAMYKID :

Let em see if I have a pin out fore the radio plug that will show him which one to test, be right back.

Customer:

there is no reading - he checked both yellow wires

KALAMYKID :

So his meter reaad OL?

Customer:

yes

KALAMYKID :

Her is the pin out for the back of the radio, the pin 11 is the wire that has to have power or the radio to work. The diagram is of the radio itsewlf, so the plug that goes into the back of it is mirrored.

KALAMYKID :

Full Size Image

Customer:

ok that is the wire he tested and the meter read ol

KALAMYKID :

If pin 11 does not have power with the ignition switch on, then he will need to run the yellow wire from the radio to the fuse box to see where the wire has been cut.

Customer:

he went to check for power

KALAMYKID :

ok

Customer:

No power

KALAMYKID :

Then the yellow wire has been cut, the wire has come loose form the conector in the fuse box at the fuse, or there is a loose conection in the plug at the back of the fuse box.

KALAMYKID :

Let me see if I have a pin out for the back of the fuse box so he can see if you have power comeing out the back of the fuse box itself.

Customer:

the orange wire next to the constant has 12 volt in run position

KALAMYKID :

Can you tell me what pin in the plug has 12 volts?

Customer:

pin 11 & 12

KALAMYKID :

So pin 11 does not have power and pin 12 does?

Customer:

pin 12 12 gauge wire has 12 volt all time

Customer:

pin 11 16 gauge wire has 12 volt when in run postion orange wire

KALAMYKID :

That woudl be from the radio fuse, and the wire should be red.

Customer:

pin 12 yes is red

KALAMYKID :

Can you tell me what the production date for your car is please?

Customer:

ok

KALAMYKID :

It will be on the sticker in the door jamb

Customer:

may 4th 2007

KALAMYKID :

Your car actualy falls under a 08 with the production daye, and the wire form the clock fuse is orange in 08.

Customer:

my appoligize i was checking yellow wires only which on this diagram is pin 2 and 3

KALAMYKID :

If the radio does not work and you have power to both pins 11 and 12, then the radio is defective.

Customer:

a new radio?

KALAMYKID :

that is ok, the production date tells me that I was looking at the wrong wire diagram., but the pin outs are the same for 07 and 08, the wire colors changed.

KALAMYKID :

I am sorry to say it but yes you will need to replace the radio, or send it to the dealer so they can ship it out to have it repaired.

Customer:

I really appreiciate your help in figuring out what is wrong.

KALAMYKID :

You are very welcome.

Customer:

I am satisfied with your diagnosis, what do I do next to end this session

KALAMYKID :

If you are happy with my help, please hit the accept button. If you need any more info on this problem, yu can always come back to this string and post a message to me, and I will get back with you asap.

Customer:

ok- i do have one more questions about getting a new radio

Customer:

would i be better off going to hyundai or to best buy and how do i know which one to get

Customer:

I have on the steering wheel the volume control and channel changer.

KALAMYKID :

That is up to you. If you like the factory radio then it is best to et yours repaired, or replace it with a factory unit " you can go to an auto salvage yard to get a replacement".

KALAMYKID :

If you go with an aftermarket radio " one form est buy" then the steering wheel controls willnot work.

Customer:

ok Thank you so very much. You help is very much aprreciated

KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY QUESTION CORRECTLY
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Kalamykid-I really appreciated all the time you took to help us figure out my radio.

It was not the radio at all. A guy where I worked told me to disconnect the battery cable, wait about 5 minutes and reattach the cable. It just needed to be reset. It worked!

Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the update.