Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

2008 Santa fe: my check engine light came..gas gauge..local shop

In my 2008 Santa fe my check engine light came on and now my gas gauge says I am empty after fueling and does not show accurate fuel levels. The gauge fluxuates up and down if is works at all. Took the car to my local shop and they can't find an issue. Any help?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

did they check the onboard computer with a scanner for stored fault codes as these are wht sets the check engine light?

If they did, did they tell you the fault code numbers or definitions retreived with scanner?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No they checked fuses and wiring for obvious fraying or dmage and all looked okay. they stated "take it to the dealer" as the assembly was too complex. No codes were given.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

ok, that is the first place to start. The fact that the check engine light came on and immediately afterwards the fuel gauge started reading wrong strongly indicates that they are related.

the most common reason is a faulty fuel level sensor located inside the fuel tank on the fuel pump module.

It is about 1.5 hours to replace as the 2nd row seats come out and carpet pulled back to access the fuel pump thru a service cover. Fuel pump is pulled and fuel level sensor replaced. Total cost is about $320-350 parts and labor
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I figured as much...painful but we need the car. Thank you.