Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 20+ Years
28939717

2004 Hyundai Sonata: The airbag light came..scanner..Resistance

The airbag light came on on my 2004 Hyundai Sonata. The scanner code is B1378 and is described: Driver Sidebag Resistance High. What might be the issue? Is this a sensor problem? Is it hard to repair? Tell me what to expect in time and cost. Thank you.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Paul M ASE Master replied 2 years ago.

Paul M ASE Master :

Hello I'm Paul and I will help you with an Answer to your Question

Paul M ASE Master :

this code is most often caused by a problem with the connector under the driver seat

Paul M ASE Master :

make sure there is nothing under the driver seat and clean the connector clear the code and see if it comes back

Customer:

Hi Paul---

Paul M ASE Master :

if the code returns it indicates a problem with the driver side , side airbag

Paul M ASE Master :

hello

Customer:

Will the connector be easy to spot?

Paul M ASE Master :

most often is a connector issue under driver seat.

Paul M ASE Master :

should be rather easy to locate I do not have a diagram

Paul M ASE Master :

if you look under the driver seat you should locate it

Paul M ASE Master :

disconnect the negative battery before unplugging it

Customer:

Will it look like a cable or cord somewhat?

Paul M ASE Master :

stand by one second and I will see if I can get an exact location on it

Paul M ASE Master :

under the driver seat you will find a 2 wire connector with a BROWN and a YELLOW/W BLACK STRIPE...

Paul M ASE Master :

this is the driver side , side air bag

Paul M ASE Master :

if connector checks out your looking at an issue with the side airbag

Customer:

So I should disconnect it, clean it with a tissue (?), reconnect it, then clear the code and drive it, hoping that the light doesn't come back on . . . right?

Paul M ASE Master :

I would clean it with electrical parts cleaner (not electrical motor cleaner) . if there is stuff under the seat like loose items then this is your problem... also add whats called contact enhancer to the terminals if possible... if you have anything under the seat interfearing with the wires this is the most common cause.

Paul M ASE Master :

is it clean under the seat?

Customer:

There is nothing that I am aware of under the seat. So I will concentrate on cleaning the terminals and hope that will take care of the problem.

Paul M ASE Master :

ok make sure there is no tension on the wires anything pulling on the wires can also set the code

Paul M ASE Master :

if wires and connector seem ok its a problem with the driver side side airbag you can verify by installing a 2 ohm resistor in place of the airbag and if code goes away the bag is bad

Customer:

I will get to it first thing in the morning when there is light out. Thank you for giving me hope that I may get away without too costly a repair.

Paul M ASE Master :

no problem

Paul M ASE Master :

thank you for using Just Answer

Paul M ASE Master :

Remember to click accept so I get credit for my answer if you need more help the quesiton will be here when you log into the site.

Paul M ASE Master :

Paul

Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech 20+ Years