Amedee
Amedee, Hyundai Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

My Hyundai wont start. It will crank over, but wont fire up.

Customer Question

My Hyundai won't start. It will crank over, but won't fire up.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Does the check engine light come on with the key on?

Have you checked for spark?

Does the engine run on starting fluid?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do yo mean by starting fluid?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
If you have a fuel delivery concern, all the engine needs to run is fuel. You can spray starting fluid into the intake as someone is cranking the engine over and if you have spark and compression, the engine should start and run for the brief time the starting fluid was being sprayed into the engine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have spark, the engine light does come on with the key turned ahead, and it does not start with starter fluid.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
HOw did you check for spark?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Removed one spark plug at a time a turned her over for a second with a friend watching.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. if the engine did in fact have spark on all cylinder and does not run with starting fluid, then chances are the ignition or valve timing is off. I guarantee it! Most likely it would be valve timing. This would cause low compression. You will need to check compression in all cylinders and then double check to be sure the timing marks are correct.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I call the neares hyundai dealership aswell. first thing they told me to do was check fuses and wiring Going to fuse box under the hood. One of the main wires to the ecu relay was corroded off. Thanks for your time.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
IF one of the wires was corroded that powers up the ECU, the ECU would not be awake with the key on and there would be no spark.

Please don't forge to hit the green accept button.

Best

AMEDEE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it was a blue relay that it led to. I had power and spark. Your soloutiin was incorrect to my question.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Most likely because I received incorrect information.