George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe: speedometer and odometer..speed sensor..signal

I have a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe. The speedometer and odometer are not working. I have had it checked and the speed sensor is working and the transmission is recieving the signal. I had the cluster checked and the problem is not in the cluster. What could be causing just the speedometer an odometer to not work? I really do not want to keep taking it to repair shops and paying for them to look and not fix the problem.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

If this vehicle is not equipped with ABS check the output of the right front wheel speed sensor as this is what supplies the signal to the speedometer on a NON ABS vehicle

Let me know how I can help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your response.

My Santa Fe does have ABS. So the question is would it be one of the sensors on the wheels and is it just the front wheels that would have the sensors?

Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

If you have ABS the fault is further up then. The output speed signal (VSS) is mounted just above the right axle shaft where it exits the transmission.

The signal goes to the ABS unit where it splits off to the cruise unit and the speedo/odometer.

You may have a problem with the signal at the cluster or the cluster has failed.

Do you have an oscilloscope or frequency counter or scantool that shows MPH to see the signal?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I don't have an oscilloscope, etc. I took my Santa Fe to a speedometer shop here in the Atlanta area and they took the cluster out and tested it and said that it is working O.K. and told me that it is not in the cluster. When they had the cluster out they had it on a machine and the speedometer was working and showing MPH. So, I am assuming that it is not in the cluster.....or am I wrong. The sensors on the wheels, do they ever get clogged with brake dust, etc. that could be causing the problem?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

OK, as long as they are sure the cluster is working and the other shop has install a VSS sensor then it has to be between the two.

The wheel sensor is not used for the speedometer when you have ABS the VSS (Vehicle speed sensor) is located on the transmission above the right axle and this is where the signal comes from.

There are three wires to this sensor and there will be a power, a ground and the signal from the sensor to the ABS computer where it splits off to the cruise and the speedometer on the cluster.

How can I help you with this?

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The repair shop that I took it to first said that the transmission is recieving the signal from the speed sensor so I am assuming that I need to take it to them and let them know that the cluster is working and the possible problem is somewhere with the three wires that do to the sensor.....correct?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Yes they need to find out why the signal from the VSS is not getting to the cluster.

The transmission has sensors of its own to see input and output speed, this sensor is used for ABS, cruise and the cluster so I/m not sure they understand where the transmission gets its signals from.

Let me know what I can do to help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for all your help!!
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I can't say "replace this and it will all be fixed" but it sometimes takes testing to see where the problem lies.

Let me know if I can help

Thanks

George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience: Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years