George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

Hyundai Sonata Will a dirty transmission filter cause shifting

Will a dirty transmission filter cause shifting problems. It's a 2005 Hyundai Sonata with 110,000 miles.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Dirty fluid will cause shifting problems but there is no filter in this transmission so there is nothing to be cleaned. If there are no trouble codes stored then flushing may help but with the history of this transmission it likely needs to be rebuilt/replaced.

Let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So, just to clarify because I was told that transmission had a filter. This make and model does not have one? Lastly, does this car have a lot of history with transmissions. I was thinking of buying that 2011 or 2012 but I sure as hell don't want it if this is the case.

Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

The only thing this transmission has is a screen that requires 8.8 hours of "book" time to replace and it is never clogged that I can see. If this screen clogs it is with pieces of the clutch packs and if they break into large enough pieces to clog the screen you need to rebuild the transmission, replacing or cleaning the screen will not help at that point.

This car does have a history of failed transmissions but a 2011 or 2010 is a completely new box to Hyundai. The longevity of this transmission may be why they changed to the new one and they do have a six speed box in the Genisys.

This trans was designed to last 100,000 miles and that is about what they last

Let me know how I can help you

Thank you

George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience: Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years