George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

2012 Hyundai Elantra: that holds the automatic transmission fluid

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. I was going to change the engine oil and by mistake removed the drain bolt that holds the automatic transmission fluid. I had to let most of it drain before I could get the plug back in. Question. #1) I cannot find where I fill the transmission and #2 How do I know if I have enough fluid in it?
Thanks Steve
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The fluid level check and fill procedure is below

Click here for procedure

The fluid will have to come from Hyundai and if it fully drained you will need about 3 1/2 quarts. Fill slowly or it will burp on you, spray brake cleaner will clean up the mess.

if you cannot make out the locations from the procedure let me know and I will give you a description

Thanks

George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience: Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

George. I clicked on your link again and it finally popped up. Sorry about that. I am trying to find this eye bolt but do not know what I am looking for. The picture does not tell me where the front of the engine is. Can you help me locate? Is the eyebolt where you fill the transmission? Thanks Steve

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
George. i edited my reply. Please see.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

You opted me out so I could not reply.

I had the moderator allow me back in so I could reply to you.

The total capacity of the transmission is 7.71 quarts, you did not drain this much. You need to get 3 1/2 (4) quarts of Hyundai fluid unless you want transmission issues. No other fluid will substitute.

I hope you understand that I have been doing this for a very long time and it is not in my interest to provide faulty information or guess.

The fluid injection point is next to the range switch with a tube and banjo bolt. Remove the bolt and use the hole with a narrow funnel to install 3 quarts of fluid and then remove the plastic under cover so you can perform the fluid checking procedure..,

The vehicle has to be level to check the fluid. Remove the fluid checking plug and follow the procedure adding fluid until the fluid runs out the hole.

I cannot stress this enough- Hyundai fluid only.

Let me know how I can help you

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you saying that when you remove the drain plug that all of the transmission fluid does not drain out? Only 31/2 to 4 quarts?

I went to the auto store and bought some Valvoline Import multi vehicle ATF full synthetic fluid that said on the back it was for Hyundai/Kia SP-II, SP-III, SP-IV. My owners manual calls for SP-IV. Is there anything wrong with using this?

Thanks for all your help. Steve

Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Yes that is what I am saying.

I will say this once again if you use anything but Hyundai fluid you will have transmission issues down the road and it is unlikely that Hyundai will warranty the work.

Let me know how I can help you

Thanks