Daniel, Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai technician
17254274

2007 Hyundai Elantra: diagnostic..O2 sensors..the check engine light

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Hyundai Elantra that has been acting funny lately. The check engine light is on and when I take it in for the diagnostic it says something along the lines of "system too lean area 1." I've already replaced both O2 sensors, first the front which the check engine light then went off for about 2 months. Then it started to have trouble turning over. It would turn and turn and turn but it just wouldn't start. I paid $100 for a more in depth diagnostic and they said to replace the other O2 sensor. They did a smoke test and said there's no holes in any of the tubes. I did that and the check engine light was off for about 15 miles, and then came back on.

I've noticed if it doesn't start right away that if I wait about 10 seconds and then try again it will start right up.

I've also already replaced the spark plugs and air filter.

Any help would be great!

Thanks.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Daniel :

Welcome to JA. Working on a fast accurate answer. Your valuable time is important to me. Clicking on Accept is the right thing for my family and I. Hi did you use a after market 02 sensor?

Daniel :

Or one from dealer.

Daniel :

?

Customer:

One from a dealer. I also just had to replace the battery.

Daniel :

ok so how are things going now?

Customer:

Same thing, check engine light is still on.

Daniel :

ok what code?

Customer:

The last time I checked it was something like "system too lean" but to find out the exact code I'll have to take it to Checker or Autozone tomorrow and get back to you.

Customer:

System too lean area 1 or something like that

Daniel :

it can be from maf sensor or intake area. or vacuum line restriction.

Customer:

I just put in the batter because the car was dead. Wouldn't even start.

Daniel :

but now it does

Customer:

Correct.

Daniel :

your code was probably 172 or 175 and maf sensor and intake air need to be checked. you will be needing a dealer or good shop scanner to measure barometric count and hertz and compare them against known good readings.

Daniel :

the maf sensor can lean you out. so can the fuel injectors.

Customer:

I think they said something with the fuel system, but I guess I'll double check to make sure what the code is and then try the things you mentioned.

Daniel :

It will be better than throwing parts at it and cheaper.

Customer:

Is there anything that would make the battery go dead like that? I had it checked just a couple months ago and the battery was great. Granted, it is 4 years old though.

Daniel :

a bad alternator or connections

Daniel :

checkers and others can do a charging test though

Daniel :

fro free

Daniel :

for

Customer:

Alright well, I'll try it out and we'll see how it goes.

Daniel :

Ok I am hoping the best case scenario for you

Daniel :

Check starter connections and neg ground to vehicle.

Daniel :

Clicking on accept helps me as I have helped you. reply if needed.

Customer:

Will I still be able to reply after clicking accept?

Daniel :

Sure please do follow up with me I will send you a link

Daniel :

once you Accept I will switch us to Q and A and post link and send a info request to you. if I do it now the question will close

Customer:

I just won't know if what you've told me actually resolves the problem until after I do it, that's all.

Customer:

But if that's what the Q&A is for afterwards, that's fine.

Daniel :

You will see it

Daniel :

and we can continue

Daniel :

Hopefully you find a good simple cheap fix. but I will be here

Daniel, Hyundai Technician
Experience: Hyundai technician
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
http://www.justanswer.com/hyundai/5iz2r-hyundai-2007-hyundai-elantra-acting.html
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One thing I might have forgotten to mention. The car shudders when I start it after its been sitting for a little while.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
That may be because its missing at first. A lean condition can be caused by air meters and fuel injectors being bad also. 25 percent of all sensor issues ar wiring and connection related so have them check connection and doo wiggle tests on wiring and connection.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just cleaned the MAF and nothing changed. The code is 171 - system too lean bank 1