George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682
Hyundai

Hyundai Accent brake lights dont work

i have a 2008 hyundai... Show More
i have a 2008 hyundai accent, my brake lights dont work ive changed all bulbs......my blinker lights work,the tail lights work, ive checked all fuses, whats up???????
Category: Hyundai
replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Start at the brake light switch under the dash at the shaft of the brake pedal, pull the connector and use a paperclip to jump from the red to the green wire. See if the lights come on.

Does the third light work? If it does you do not have to go to the switch but there is a break at a splice.

Let me know so I can help you

Thank you

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
the third light in the rear window does not light either
George H., Hyundai Technician replied 5 years ago.

Ok, then start at the switch with the jumper and see if you have power at the paperclip while it is installed.

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
I looked at the shaft of the brake I dont see a brake light switch or a connector

Here's a picture to help

Click here for picture

Let me know

Thanks

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
ok i pulled the switch out and the green and red wires are attached to it do these wires come out or do i need to cut them?????

Niether, you use a paperclip to connect them. The paperclip will have 12 volts on it so don't let it touch anything metal.

Tell me if there is 12 volts at the paperclip when you have it jumpered to the connector.

And please tell me if the brake lights are on with the paperclip installed

Thanks

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
what do you mean, do i stick the the 2 ends of the paper clip into the switch? the red and green wires go into the switch, there attached to the switch, i dont get where to attach the paper clip??????

No you stick the two ends of the paperclip into the connector to connect the red wire which should have 12 volts to the green wire which runs back to your brake lights. Slide the paperclip into the connector to jumper the two wires together.

Let me know what happens and if you have 12 volts to the paperclip once you have it installed.

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
ok i get it....... i will try tat be right back

Let me know what you find

Thanks

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
ok ,, I did it, istuck the paperclip to the switch and the brake lights are on!!!!!!now what????????

Replace the brake switch.

Make sure the lights are off with the pedal up but if you are the original owner and have less than 60,000 miles Hyundai will do this for free. The switch will have to come from Hyundai in any case.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you