George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

hyundai elantra The brake lights stopped working on my 2008

Customer Question

The brake lights stopped working on my 2008 hyundai elantra, the shifter is also locked. replacing the stop lamp switch above the brake pedel and it did not correct the problem?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Do you have a 12 volt test light to check for power to the switch?

Does the third brake light work?

Let me know so I can help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes i have a 12v digatal logic tester

my middle light does not work
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Great, pull the connector for the brake switch and check both contact for power, if you have no power the next stop is the fuse block. If you do have power connect the red to the white wire and see if the lights come on.

If no power the stop fuse in the instrument panel fuse block needs to be checked for power on both of the test points on the back of the fuse.

Let me know what you find

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the four pin plug has power on the red and after jumping the wires the lights did not come on
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Ok use the paperclip to put power to the white wire and check at one of the brake light sockets for power to the contacts.

There are three connectors between the switch and the bulbs so you stat at the bulb and work up to where you have power.

I will post the locations of the connectors.

Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

In the right kick panel find connector EM 11. You will have to remove the plastic to get to the connector. In cavity 38 is the white wire. Don't open the connector but use a straight pin to probe along the wire to make contact and see if there is power at the wire there. If there is we will move towards the back but if no power we need to move back towards the switch.

Let me know what you find

Click here for the connector location

Thank you

Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

The only connector that is common to all the lights is the EM 11 so you should not have power there at the white wire in cavity 38 I think you have a break right at the switch so inspect the connector to see and if you have to pierce the insulation with the straight pin an inch or so from the connector on the white wire and see if you have power that far while you have the paper clip in.

You will need to check the sensr2 fuse in the underhood fuse block for the shifter issue. Jumping the other two wires in the switch connector should release the shift lock actuator and allow you to shift.

let me know what you find, I am going to sleep in about 15 minutes so if you can't get back tonight I will look in the morning for your post. You should have a break in the white wire for the brake lights not working.

Thank you