Amedee
Amedee, Hyundai Technician
Experience:  ASE Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Hyundai Sonata Hybrid my new sonata hybrid just went dead....sitting

my new sonata hybrid just went dead....sitting in the garage. when I pressed the start button, it beeped at me three times and went dark. what can I do? I don't know if the care can be jump-started? how can this happen when I only have 2,000 miles on the car? Steve Strobridge

PS, I'm also concerned, since this is new technology for Hyundai, whether their roadside tech service people understand any unique jump start requirements for the Sonata hybrid. How do you jump start it, anyway? Where are the jump start connections?

Hello!

Does the dome light work? What about the head lights?

Do you have a voltmeter or a test light so we can check some things?

Can I get your VIN?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

nothing at all works. I'm at my office so I don't have the VIN here.

I don't have a voltmeter or test light. I plan to call the Hyundai roadside assistance line this afternoon, but I'm concerned, since this is brand new technology, whether they will even now how to jump start the Sonata hybrid. do you know where the jumper connections are on it?

Once you pop the hood, you should be able to see everything and it should be pretty obvious on how to jump the vehicle. If you do not see the battery, look for the cables from the battery. It will have the jumper points in various places under the hood so you can jump the vehicle.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what could have happened to cause it to go dead. Surely a new car's battery shouldn't do that? It has a little blue line on the dash to show battery charge status, and I don't recall it being low when I ran it yesterday?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The hybrid's electric battery is in the trunk. is there also a regular battery?

YES.. I believe there is another battery..

Something could have been left on overnight or you could even have a bad connection..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I guess my main question is whether there's any danger of the Hyundai roadside assistnace guy messing it up in trying to jumpstart it? I'm just leery because, as far as I know, I may have the only Sonata hybrid in Virginia, and there can't have been many calls to jump-start one. the one I have is the only one my dealer has gotten in this year.

As long as the roadside assistance guys knows what he is doing, there is no danger.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
For amedee...sonata hybrid battery connection is only in the trunk. No connectors under the hood. Jump start didn't work. Have to have it towed.
There should be connections under the hood.. If not, you can power up the wires through the fuse block in order to power up the vehicle.