Amedee
Amedee, Hyundai Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

car wont start or no dash lights when key turned on

Customer Question

I parked the car for a week or two and when I went to start it back up to move it turn the key no dash lights and the car won't start.battery is fully charged I do have power to starter.just no lights when you turn the key to on....nothing
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

It sounds to me like you might just have a battery issue, bad connection, blown fuse or fusible link causing you no crank condition. Electrical can be very difficult to diagnose so please stick with me and read this very carefully. There are a few possibilities here that it could be. We are going to need to run a few tests to see what is going on. Don't worry... these tests are really easy! I can walk you through this diagnoses.

The first thing we need to do it check the battery with a voltmeter. A fully charged battery must have enough cranking capacity to provide the starter motor and ignition system with enough power to start the engine over a broad range of ambient temperatures. It could be bad or just low on a charge. If the battery is bad, it can still cause a no crank condition even if it has a full charge. I would rec to get it load tested at a shop or at a battery store. A battery load test will verify the actual cranking capability of the battery. This is the best test. Or you can take a voltmeter and put it on the battery and crank the engine over. (Be sure the battery has a full charge on it.) If the volts drop below 9.6, the battery is bad and needs to be replaced! Just be sure all cable connections are clean and tight. Not only at the battery, but on the starter, engine and frame! Positive side as well as the negative side.

If all checks out, make sure that you have battery voltage on both terminals of the starter when cranking. If full battery voltage (12.6 volts) is present and the starter is not working, then the starter is bad and will need to be replaced! Just be sure all fuses small regular and large size fuses are good under the hood, as well as inside the vehicle

The only other things left would be a bad neutral position switch, bad ignition switch or a wiring or connector problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have done all that....I get no power when turning the key on or to tryto start the car.How hard is it to pull the ignition switch?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Not too hard.

Check the power in the fuses inside the vehicle as well as under the hod with the key on.

Let me know what you find!