Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  30 year ASE Master tech

2002 hyundai accent: 1.6 l, I think I..alternator belt..power steering

Customer Question

Hi how can I replace the a/c belt on a 2002 Hyunday Accent, 1.6 l, I think I have the removal of the alternator belt and the power steering belt figured out. However the a/c belt is an issue. Please help...Peter
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

The AC belt tensioner has a bolt on the bottom that you can get from under the car. When the nut in the front of the tensioner pulley is loosened then you turn the bolt on the bottom counter clock wise and the pulley will allow the belt to get loose.

graphic

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: 30 year ASE Master tech
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi thanks, to tension the new belt is this a reversal of your description?
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.
Yes. Sorry.

Tension Adjustment

ADJUSTING DRIVE BELT TENSION

1. Check that the belts are not damaged and are properly fit for the pulley grooves.
  2. Apply 100 N (22 lbs.) force to the back and midway portion of the belt between the pulleys as shown in the illustration, measure the amount of deflection with a tension gauge.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

CAUTION:

1. When Installing the V-ribbed belt, check that the V-ribs are properly aligned
  2. If noise or slippage is detected, check the belt for wear, damage, or breakage on the pulley contact surface, and check the pulley for scoring. Also check the amount that the belt is deflected.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

STANDARD VALUE

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

NOTE:

1. The belt tension must be measured half-way between the specified pulleys.
  2. When a new belt is installed, adjust the tension to the central value of the standard range indicated under "New" in the above table. Lot the engine idle for 5 minutes or more, and check the standard value indicated under "Inspection. "
  3. When adjusting a belt which has been used or newly installed, after 5 minutes or more of operation, refer to the standard value indicated under "Used" in the above table.
  4. Refer to the standard value indicated under "inspection " for periodic inspections.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

TYPE A TENSION GAUGE
Do not let the dial section of the tension gauge contact other objects during measurement.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

TYPE B TENSION GAUGE

1. When measuring, turn the reset button in the direction of the arrow and set the gauge needle to the RESET position.
  2. If the tension gauge is removed from the belt, the needle will still indicate the tension. Read the tension value after removing the gauge.