Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience:  27 year and 16 year as shop owner, import technician

Sonata: release..the drum to get the rotor..emergency brake..4cyl

is there a release in the drum to get the rotor off for checking the emergency brake shoes. 09 sonata 4cyl rotors are bad
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi welcome to JA.com.I will answer your question the best I can,

Have you slackened off the hand brake cable
.
Regards Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no how do i do that
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi.

Here is a diagram of part locations and instructions on how to remove this part

1. Rear brake caliper
2. Parking brake lever
3. Parking brake switch
4. Parking brake cable
5. Backing plate
6. Operating lever
7. Strut
8. Upper spring
9. Lower spring
10. Adjuster
11. Cup washer
12. Shoe hold down spring
13. Shoe hold down pin

Removal
The parking brake cables must not be bent or distorted.This will lead to stiff operation and premature failure.
1.Remove the floor console.
2.Loosen the adjusting nut (A) and remove the parking brake cables.

3.Disconnect the connector(A) of the parking brake switch connector.

4.Remove the bolts and parking brake lever assembly (A).
5.Remove the wheel and tire.
6.Remove the brake disc and the brake shoe (Refer to the rear disc brake).
7.Remove the parking brake hook(A).

8.Remove the parking brake cable assembly.
Installation
1.Install the removed parts in the reverse order of removal.
2.Apply the specified grease to each sliding parts of the ratchet plate or the ratchet pawl.

Specified grease :Multi purpose grease SAE J310, NLGI No.2
3.After installing the parking brake cable adjuster, adjust the parking brake lever stroke (Refer to the parking brake check and adjustment).
Inspection
1.Pull the parking brake lever (A) with 196 N (20 kgf, 44 lbf) force to fully apply the parking brake. The parking brake lever should be locked within the specified number of clicks.

Lever locked clicks : 8

2.Adjust the parking brake if the lever clicks are out of specification.
Adjustment
Parking Brake Shoe Clearance Adjustment
Disc Brake Type
1.Lift the vehicle, and make sure it is securely supported.
2.Remove the rear tire and wheel.
3.Remove the plug from the disc.
4.Turn the adjusting wheel in arrow direction as shown until the disc won’t be rotated by tangential force of 29.4N(3kgf, 6.6Ib) using the (-)screw driver (A). Then turn back the adjusting wheel by 5 notches.

5.Install the rear tire and wheel after installing the plug.
Parking Brake Lever Stroke Adjustment
2.Remove the floor console. (Refer to BD Gr. - "Floor console")
3.After the full stroke operation of the parking lever during 2 hours for setting the cable, the travel must be between 8 notches when applying a force of 196N(20kgf, 44Ib) at 40mm from the end of lever assembly (excluding button) by adjusting nut (A).

4.Release the parking brake lever fully, and check that parking brakes do not drag when the rear wheels are turned. Readjust if necessary.
5.Make sure that the parking brakes are fully applied when the parking brake lever is pulled up fully.
6.Parking indicator lamp must be “OFF”when the lever assembly is released. It must be “ON” when the lever assembly is operated by 1 notch.
7.Install the floor console. (Refer to BD Gr. - "Floor console")
After repairing the parking brake shoe, adjust the brake shoe clearance, and then adjust the parking brake lever stroke.

Removal
1.Raise the rear of the vehicle and make sure it is securely supported. Remove the rear wheel.
2.Remove the guide rod bolt(B), After raising the caliper assembly(A), support it with a wire.

3.Remove pad shim(A), pad retainer(B) and pad assembly(C) in the caliper bracket.

Installation
1.Install the pad retainers(A) on the caliper bracket.

2.Check for foreign material between the pad shim (A) and the back of the pads (B).

3.Contaminated brake discs or pads reduce stopping ability. Keep grease off the discs and pads.
4.Install the brake pads (B) and pad shims (A) correctly. Install the pad with the wear indicator (C) on the inside.If you are reusing the pads, always reinstall the brake pads in their original position to prevent a momentary loss of braking efficiency.
5.Push in the piston (A) so that the caliper will fit over the pads. Make sure that the piston boot is in position to prevent damaging it when pivoting the caliper down.
6.Pivot caliper down into position. Being careful not to damage the pin boot, install the guide rod bolt (B) and torque it to proper specification

Insert the piston in the cylinder using the special tool(09581-11000).

7.Depress the brake pedal several time to make sure the brakes work, then test-drive.
Engagement of the brake may require a greater pedal stroke immediately after the brake pads have been replaced as a set. Several applications of the brake will restore the normal pedal stroke.
8.After installation, check for leaks at hose and line joints or connections, and re tighten if necessary.
Inspection
Rear Brake Disc Thickness Check
1.Remove all rust and contamination from the disc surface, and then measure the disc thickness at 8 points, al least, of the same distance (5 mm(0.12 in)) from the brake disk outer circle.

Rear brake disc thickness standard value : 10.0 mm (0.39 in)Limit : 8.4 mm (0.33 in)
2.Thickness variation should not exceed 0.01 mm(0.0004 in) (circumference) and 0.01 mm(0.0004 in) (radius) at any directions.
3.If wear exceeds the limit, replace the discs and pad assembly for left and right of the vehicle.

Rear Brake Pad Check
1.Check the pad wear. Measure the pad thickness and replace it, if it is less than the specified value.

Pad thickness standard value :10.0 mm ( 0.39 in) - 2.4 L15.0 mm ( 0.59 in) - 3.3 LService limit : 3.0 mm (0.12 in)

2.Check that grease is applied, and the pad and backing metal for damage.
Rear Brake Disc Run Out Check
1.Place a dial gauge about 5 mm (0.2 in) from the outer circumference of the brake disc, and measure the run out of the disc.

Brake disc run out limit : 0.05 mm (0.002 in) or less (new one)

2.If the run out of the brake disc exceeds the limit specification, replace the disc, and then measure the run out again.
3.If the run out does not exceed the limit specification, install the brake disc after turning it 180° and then check the run out of the brake disc again.
4.If the run out cannot be corrected by changing the position of the brake disc, replace the brake disc.
Seizing Of Rear Brake Disc
1.Remove the brake disc from hub using an M8 screw(A) if the brake disc has been seized with the hub due to corrosion or overheating.
Be careful not to use a hammer. The disc can be damaged if you remove the disc from the hub by hammering.

If you need further assistance with this issue please let me know.

Kind regards Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience: 27 year and 16 year as shop owner, import technician