Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 20+ Years
28939717

2004 Sonata: the oxygen sensor..replaced last..running rough..changing

This is the second time we replaced the oxygen sensor in our 2004 Sonata. Just replaced last week and light is still coming on and running rough. And yes we had the computer clear the light after changing.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Paul M ASE Master replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

I'm Paul and I will help you with your Question

what is the fault code you are getting with the light?

Paul

Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech 20+ Years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I took it to Advance Auto and I don't remember the exact code but they said it was the bank one oxygen sensor. When we replaced it I took it back becasue the light came on again even though I had taken it off the battery to clear the light. So he cleared the light with the the computer and said if it happens again take it to a mechanic!

Certain oxygen sensor codes are set do to lean conditions like vacuum leaks etc.

because the code references an oxygen sensor does not always mean the sensor is bad.

if the light does come back get the exact code and I can further help you

a vacuum leak can set oxygen sensor codes also

Paul

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I won't be able to do thatq until tomorrow how do I contact you again?

just login to the site

and go into your question.

I will be around after 1pm eastern tomorrow

Paul

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thanks.

ok reply when you get more info

Paul

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The code is: P0130 O2 Sensor circuit malfunction, Bank 1 sensor 1.

bank 1 sensor 1 is at the firewall (windshield) side of the engine . the connector is under the throttle body

is this the sensor that was changed?

Paul

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They said it was in front of the engine by the fan. That's the one we changed. Does the bank one sensor one look like the other one? IS the other one called an oxygen sensor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you have any pictures of the location?

they changed the wrong sensor

the sensor on the front manifold near the fan is bank 2 sensor 1

bank 1 sensor 1 is on the back side near the firewall the connector is under the throttle body

the sensor itself is under the vehicle

graphic

Paul

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How many oxygen sensors are on this thing? I am looking at the part number they gave us online. Denso(NNN) NNN-NNNNand it Upstream left and right, they also show a Downstream left and right with a different part number. Could tey have given us the right part but told us the wrong place to install? It doesn't show bank 1 or 2 on the discription of these part numbers.

its an upstream sensor right bank (firewall bank)

the sensor is underneith as shown in the picture I attached

the connector is under the throttle body

there are 4 sensors on this vehicle

it is very common for v6 cars to have 4 sensors this is not an unusall situation

they just changed the wrong one

Paul

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I found it. I'm sorry to be so persistant, but the one I changed before was on the pass side up front. What s that one called? and are they all interchangable? I hate to keep asking stupid questions, but I don't want to buy another one if I don't have to since I saved the last one I changed. Now I see the wire length is different. The one I need has a longer wire on it than the one they gave me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
FYI I am a female who was an aircarft mechanic in the USAF a few years ago : ) If I can see the part I can usually replace it myself.

the one you changed by the fan

was upstream left bank 2 sensor 1

if the part number for both upstream sensors is the same then it will work

the bank 1 sensor 1 shown in the image I attached is also an upstream sensor

I am attaching the image again you get it from under the vehicle the conector is near the throttle body.

graphic

Paul

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, I thought I had already done this. I changed it out this morning and so far it seems to be working ok. Thanks so much appreciate your help.

no problem thank you for using Just Answer

Paul

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I received another email asking me to accept your answer. I paid via Paypal and it has already cleared my bank on the 20th.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank You

Thank you for accepting my answer to your Hyundai question on JustAnswer. This message confirms that I have been paid for helping you.

Unlimited Answers
Start a free 30 day subscription >
Get Free Answers
Your Questions
Check the status of your questions >
View Your Questions
Ask another question - Lawyers, Doctors, Mechanics, Veterinarians, and Experts in over 100 other categories are available 24/7 to help.

Thank you for allowing me to help you. I look forward to assisting you again in the future.

Sincerely,

Paul M ASE Master Technician