Daniel, Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai technician

2003 hyundai sonata: cyl..starts..dies..seconds even if you

2003 hyundai sonata 4 cyl starts up fine then dies with in seconds even if you are trying to give it gas
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Daniel :

Hello, I am Daniel. I may ask you questions, to better answer you. Please let me know if you have any other questions before you Accept. Hi this may be the fuel pressure reg

Daniel :

does it start fine cold.?

Daniel :

I am here.

Daniel :

Are you with me?

Customer:

yes it starts fine. it started this today after I changed my oil, started it up ran fine shut it off checked oil level then went to start it to drive it off the ramps and it started up and died it did this a few times then started up ran fine got it off the ramps and let it run for a while and parked. latter i drove down to the gas station and it started doing it again but this time I could not get it to run at all, it would only start up and then die.

Daniel :

after it cooled down did it start

Daniel :

and stay running

Customer:

No it didnt, actually never got warm. gas station is less than half mile from my house

Daniel :

Ic

Daniel :

can you get it to start with starting fluid?

Daniel :

or run

Customer:

haven't tried. it starts up fine and runs for a sec then dies, it does the same thing if you try to rev it up or if you start it with gas pedal pushed it will start rev and then die.

Daniel :

is car with you?

Customer:

no, Im at work wright now.

Daniel :

ok I am wondering if when you release the key its coming back to far. and turning it off.

Daniel :

this needs to be checked. and i am preparing the rest of my answer for you right now.

Daniel :

how long will it idle before it dies?

Customer:

just second.

Daniel :

do you have a check engine light on?

Customer:

yes, it has been on for several months.

Daniel :

ok auto zone will do a scan for free if you can get it there. I can give you better info with the codes that are stored. I believe its a weak or bad fuel pump or fuel pressure reg, or this also sounds like a bad cam shaft position sensor.

Customer:

I had it checked before it started this and I think it was the TPS

Daniel :

I really believe i am close with out getting codes. You can get back with my with codes even after Accept. I do it for all my customers

Daniel :

Its possible. You can get the codes read again and if they are the tps again you can chane it but it may be wiring or connection. So check that. if it has more get back with me. The TPS would be my second choice. So its possible

Daniel :

change it sorry

Customer:

where would the fuel pressure reg be?

Customer:

it would idle high some times.

Daniel :

I dont have a location on the fuel pressure reg.

Daniel :

the tps can do that. but also the air flow meter so a scan will help

Customer:

can either one of them cause the same problem?

Daniel :

please let me knwo if you have any other questions before you click on Accept.

Daniel :

Yes. both . thats why the scann will let us know whitch sensors are at fault.

Daniel :

which

Daniel :

Fingers are in ruff shape sorry for the typo's

Daniel :

if your not busting a knuckle your not working on a car lol

Daniel :

ok the regulator is on the supply pipe.

Daniel, Hyundai Technician
Experience: Hyundai technician