Cardoctor74
Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE Technician
3827149

2006 Hyundai sonata: serpentine belt tensioner..V6..owners manual

Customer Question

Could you pleas supply an image of the serpentine belt tensioner for a 2006 Hyundai Sonata 3.3L V6. Your site only gives the same very basic instructions as the owners manual. Supposed to be a self adjusting tensioner.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Cardoctor74 replied 5 years ago.
This should help.
ClickHere
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Was sent diagram for a hyundai tuscon. I have a 2006 hyundai sonata and the belt diagrams are not even close. I need to find the tensioner arm for a sonata not a tuscon.
Sorry about that.
ClickHere
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nice picture. I still have not had the tensioner arm identified. There are two pulleys side by side and I dont see any way to lessen tension on either, so I am trying to gat the belt back on the car. Any and all help would be appreciated. The picture is fine for belt routing but does not identify the tensioner.
Tensionser is the one above the crank pulley and slightly to the right and spring loaded. Put a ratchet and socket on it and releave the spring tension and slip the belt on. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would love to do that but there is nothing to put a ratchet and socket on. It has a flat surface with what looks like an "allen" screw head. I am completely lost. The pulley above and to the right of that one seems to be just a stationary one with a bolt through the middle. Any other ideas?
Ok yes that is an Allen socket that goes it there on a ratchet you can also use a pry bar to move the tensionsr. Better off to get the socket for 10 dollars and use the ratchet . Hoped this helped . Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The allen I see is very shallow. I doubt seriously it will take any kind of torque.
Thanks for trying but I am still at a loss on how to get this done. All the repair manuals talk about turning the tensioner to loosen it not pry it. I guess I will keep checking around.
No it's spring loaded there's an actual tool or a pry bar will work.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have been on this for 2 days. There is nothing that moves or anything to pry against. Not argumentative just a fact. It is a solid mount to the engine with no spring action at any point in the assembly. There is a cylinder behind it that attache to the mounting plate but I can not find a pivot point anywhere.
This Should help.
ClickHere
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Again. No tear drop and 1 large bolt at he bottom. When I remove the one large bolt the only thing holding the assembly in place is a very small pin from the cylinder I mentioned before that is behind the pulley assembly. If I remove the pully assembly and put the belt on it it is impossible to get the pulley assembly back on. It is the proper belt because it was on the vehicle prior to the crank shaft pulley breaking.
Let me try to post a step by step with pictures.