Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  30 year ASE Master tech

2000 Hyundai elantra: is overheating..driven..000 miles..water pump

My 2000 Hyundai elantra is overheating after being driven for about 30 minutes or in stop and go traffic. It has a new radiator and hoses and I see no visible leaks. The vehicle has about 167,000 miles on it and I was wondering if it is the water pump? I know the electric fans work and there is no water in the oil so I do not suspect a head gaskit leak. Could a worn out water pump cause the system to slowly push out enough water to make the vehicle overheat? If it is the water pump; How do you get the bolts off the front pulley with only about 3/4 of an inch of room between it and the vehicle frame assemby? Also if I replace the water pump; should I do the timing belt at the same time? Thanks for your consideration.

Hello and welcome to Just, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. There is a tester for that, that you can gt from Autozone for about $20. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

Block tester available as:

Napa BK.(NNN) NNN-NNNN/span>

Part Number:

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

Of course, you will want to make sure that the system is full, the coolant is circulating, and the cooling fan(s) are working as well as the pressure cap holding pressure. Thanks