Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience:  27 year and 16 year as shop owner, import technician
29331485

2009 Sonata. The Check Engine Light keeps coming on.

We own a 2009 Sonata. The Check Engine Light keeps coming on. Dealer has replaced items and other items based on code but still coming on. Can clear light by removing and then replacing gas cap. Any ideas as to what might actually be the problem? Car runs fine otherwise.

Hyundai diagnosis codes were p0365, p0638, p2110

Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi welcome to JA.com.I will answer your question the best I can,

Well just replacing the fuel cap is not going to help not with the codes you have.?

Is the car still under warranty .

Regards Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. the car is still under warranty and the Hyundai dealer is working on it. We are looking for some outside advice to provide to them under the principle that two (or more) heads are better than one.
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

Pass this info this way they will not stall on you .

P0365

Component Location

General Description
The Camshaft Position Sensor (CMPS) is a sensor that detects the compression TDC of the NO. 1 cylinder. The CMPS consists of a hall type sensor and a target on the end of the intake camshaft. When the target triggers the sensor, the sensor voltage is 5V. If not, the sensor voltage is 0V. These CMPS signal is sent to the PCM and the PCM uses the CMPS signal for synchronizing the firing of sequential fuel injectors.
DTC Description
The PCM monitors the exhaust camshaft sensor signal transition position which must change only once per crankshaft revolution. If no camshaft signal is detected while crankshaft signal is detected, the PCM sets DTC P0365.
DTC Detecting Condition
Item
Detecting Condition
Possible Cause
DTC
Strategy
Case1
Missing signal check
Open or short in signal, ground or power supply circuit
Poor connection or damaged harness
Misadjust crankshaft and camshaft pulley position
Faulty CMPS #2
Case2
Noisy signal check
Enable Conditions
Engine synchronized
Threshold
Value
Case1
No camshaft edge detected within one revolution
Case2
Camshaft segment duration < 7.3ms
Camshaft segment duration gradient not valid
Diagnostic
Time
Case1
8 rev.
Case2
5 rev.
MIL On Condition
2 Driving Cycles

Diagnostic Circuit Diagram
Signal Waveform & Data

There are 60 signals of CKPS(Including missing tooth) during the semi-cycle of CMPS #2. There are 3~5 signals of CKPS between the switching point of CMPS #2 and the missing tooth of CKPS.
P0638

General Description
The Electronic Throttle Control(ETC) system is made of the components throttle body, Throttle Position Sensor(TPS)1&2 and Accelerator Position Sensor(APS) 1&2. The throttle body contains the actuator, the throttle plate and the throttle position sensor (potentiometer), which are integrated in one housing. The actuator consists of a DC motor with a two-stage gear. The opening angle of the throttle valve is detected by the throttle position sensor which is mounted on the throttle body. And it provides feedback to the PCM to control the throttle motor in order to control the throttle valve opening angle properly in response to the driving condition.
DTC Description
PCM sets DTC P0638 if the PCM detects TPS adaptation value exceeds threshold value.
DTC Detecting Condition
Item
Detecting Condition
Possible Cause
DTC
Strategy
Case1
TPS adaptation condition check
Poor connection or damaged harness
Faulty ETC Motor
Faulty TPS
Case2
ETC Limp Home position check
Case3
Lower mechanical stop adaptation voltage range check
Enable Conditions
During TPS adaptation
Threshold
Value
Case1
TPS adaptation is requested but not possible
Case2
Difference between Throttle sensor voltage in limphome and limphome setpoint > 0.3V
Case3
Difference between Throttle sensor voltage in lower mechanical stop position and lower mechanical stop position setpoint > 0.3V
Diagnostic Time
1.2 sec.
Limp-Home
Forced limited RPM mode : The PCM limits engine speed to 1500rpm
Electrical check of the ETC system is prohibited
MIL On Condition
Immediate

Diagnostic Circuit Diagram
Signal Waveform & Data

▶ During 'ETC Motor' test, TPS1 and TPS2 show symmetrical movements.
P2110

SONATA(NF) >2009 > G 2.4 DOHC > Engine > Engine Control > P2110 Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited RPM > General Information
General Description
If a malfunction occurs in the Electronic Throttle Control(ETC) system, the PCM will control the engine from predetermined data stored in its memory or stop the engine if a safety problem is anticipated,as an Emergency Operation(Limp-Home)mode. The purpose of Limp-Home mode is to control the engine as close as possible to normal engine operation if a malfunction occurs. When the DTC related to ETC system is recorded by the PCM, then this DTC will be set. This DTC only indicates malfunction related to ETC system has occurred and engine is in Limp-Home mode. DO ALL REPAIRS associated malfunction with ETC system.
DTC Description
PCM sets DTC P2110 to indicate ETC system malfunction has occurred and engine is in Limp-Home mode. The PCM limits engine speed to 1500rpm after setting the DTC, as an Emergency Operation(Limp-Home)mode.
DTC Detecting Condition
Item
Detecting Condition
Possible Cause
DTC Strategy
Engine is in Limp-Home mode
ETC system malfunction(Additional DTC when APS(Accel. Position Sensor)erroror ETC hardware check error(P2101, 2118)or TPS start check adaptation(P2119, P0638)or TPS reference voltage(P0652, P0653)or APS reference voltage(P0642, P0643,P0698,P0699)or APS ratio error(P2138)or both TPS1 and TPS2 erroror Level 2 monitoring error detected.)
Enable Conditions
The PCM detects ETC system malfunction.
Threshold Value
-
Diagnostic Time
-

Need further assistance please let me know.

Kind regards Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience: 27 year and 16 year as shop owner, import technician