George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe: L..I am replacing right front CV Drive Axle I

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5 L FWD. I am replacing right front CV Drive Axle I have it just about removed accept for where it is attached to transmission in back of engine. How do I remove it from here, are there any clips or anything? Thanks.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The axle slides into the transmission but you need to remove the bearing support from the engine block to allow it to slide out of the transmission.

The outer half of the axle assembly will separate from the stub axle and bearing if that is all you are replacing.

Let me know if it is the shaft you are replacing or the transmission and if this is a 4WD truck

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is FWD not 4x4. I am replacing the cv drive axle, bearing and hub. I have the end of the drive axle out of the hub, just need to remove the other end.

So on the other end that is in the transmission I have to remove a bearing suppor? Is this just screwed in to the engine block?

Thanks.
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

You can strike the shell of the inner joint with a drift and hammer and it will pop off the stub axle so you do not have to remove the bearing support from the block. If you have the end free of the wheel hub it will come free with two or three solid blows.

The right axle inner joint is a female spline unlike the left side which is a male spline that is mounted into the transmission.

If your new axle has the bearing and stub axle included then you can remove the snapring and centering bolt from the bottom of the bearing support and you might be able to get the bearing to slide out of the support so you don't have to unbolt the bearing support from the block.

Do you have the new axle and is it complete with bearing and stub axle or is it just the outer half of the axle assembly?

Let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It has a snap ring on the end that goes into transmission I know i need to remove that, that end has teeth on it which looks like it should slide in. There are two notches on the sides which I assume should lie up with notches in the transmission.
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Can you post the brand and part number of your replacement so I can look it up or a picture so I know how much axle you have there?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
this is driver's side

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=NMD958363_0325034761&An=599001+102004+50033+2033031

this is passenger's side which is the one I'm working on right now

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=NMD958365_0325034758&An=599001+102004+50033+2033031
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

The link returned an error but I looked up what NAPA is offering for your vehicle and it is just the outer axle assembly with the female splines that fit the stub axle so use a drift and knock the inner joint shell off the stub shaft and leave the bearing support and the bearing bolted in place. It should only take two or three good blows on the shell to knock it off. If it does not pop free the first time spin the axle 90 degrees and try again. A helper holding the outer end of the axle straight out from the bearing will help it slide off, they don't pull they just hold the end up.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you

George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience: Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much I'll try this in the morning.
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Glad to help and please let me know if you have further questions about this. I will be happy to help you

Thanks for using JA!! Again